Adventurors Abound in Cirrus

By Kyle Auger
Sports Editor

The outdoor club, the hiking club, the camping club are all names for Cirrus, one of the most adventurous clubs you’ll find at Westford Academy.

Headed by math teacher Zach Brumbaugh, the club just completed their first hike where they planned on navigating from Westminster, Massachusetts through the mountains north to Ashburnham, New Hampshire. However it was cut short due to rain.

This group is good for younger kids or those who aren’t exactly outdoorsmen, ”It’s really a chance for people to try outdoors activities, without the stress of being left outside in the desert.” said Brumbaugh.

This club is an active one, who already has another trip planned, taking about three days spending each of the nights sleeping out in the wilderness.

”They carry all their gear, they pack in everything, then they pack it up the next day,” said Brumbaugh.

The other main part of the club is rock climbing, where they scale various walls and is good practice for their authentic excursions into the forest.  The facet of rock climbing is also scaled for anyone’s skill level, with different challenge levels for different climbers. The next rock climbing trip is this Saturday and is a prime time for interested members who would like to join.

The group is small, containing only eight students, and is wanting new members, explorers and newbies alike who can join by contacting Brumbaugh or guidance counselor Tracy McLaughin.