Chocolate, roses, and disappointment

Madie Blais

vday

The 14th of February has become a staple date in relationships and in people’s lives. It has become a day to show romance and love. It’s the day single people feel alienated and bad about themselves, while couples brag about what their significant other has done for them.

Valentines Day is a commercial holiday that stores use to sell special chocolate in heart shaped boxes, cards, and other ridiculous trinkets that people use to try and show that they care about their significant other. It is so easy to suck money out of people on Valentine’s Day, even schools have started to sell roses, carnations, candy, even little stuffed animal bears holding a heart. These are passed around class for everybody to see, making others feel bad when they don’t get any, and showing the others who is “most popular”.

On Valentine’s Day everybody feels bad, even couples. Everyone posts what their significant other has done on social media, and people feel bad about their own gifts and gestures because someone else’s is always better and bigger.

Valentine’s Day, people take extraordinary measures to try and show their significant other that they love them. For some reason, people on Valentine’s Day seem to love one another more, but couples should love each other and show it everyday.

The 14th of February is the epitome of cliché things. It is the sappiest, corniest day of the year.

The ridiculous romance movies on television only add to the incredulous mawkishness of Valentine’s Day.  They all display the same plot where a couple ends up in a magical relationship. Valentine’s Day movies try to make everyone believe in unrealistic endings and that everything comes easy in life. The whole day is just a let down to everyone except the select few that are able to live out the fairytale in all those movies.

Single people all over are sitting at home, alone, dreading that day that points out the lonely feeling that they try so hard to fight showing. It’s hard not to notice the couples walking by in the streets holding hands and laughing with one another. Happiness is something everyone wants no matter what.

Valentine’s Day makes everyone believe that they will not be happy unless they are in a relationship. People can be happy in, and out of relationships.

Valentine’s Day is a holiday that provides no good aside from the short lasting happiness people feel when their significant other shows their love in some romantic gesture. The holiday itself should not be so highly celebrated, and honestly should not be a holiday at all.