Westford Education Foundation’s graduation balloons on sale

Provided by Kelly Guthrie

Balloons are inflated by volunteers at the Franco-American Club.

Pravar Mukkala, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The Westford Education Foundation (WEF) took orders for balloons celebrating the graduating class of 2023 until May 16. As a longstanding tradition in Westford, the balloons serve the purpose of symbolizing the senior class’s many achievements, and can be displayed outside seniors’ houses. The money collected will go to WPS.

The balloons are maroon and silver in color, and cost $8 each. Bouquets of six cost $45. Unless ordered in bulk, all balloons come with a personalized note for the senior being recognized. More information can be found and orders can be placed here. In addition to balloons, WEF also sold yard signs and banners.

WEF is a non-profit organization in Westford that works to provide aid and resources to Westford schools, including WA and Nashoba Valley Technical High School. This work is done through the participation of volunteers who orchestrate fundraisers and events.

“WEF is a great organization run by a great group of volunteers,” board member Kelly Guthrie said. “We are very committed to our students and teachers.”

The senior balloons are not the only fundraiser WEF has held. WEF also organizes the annual events WESTFEST and Ties & Tiaras, an event for grades K-5. WEF raises funds through these events, which it then grants to Westford schools. Some grants that WEF has fulfilled have been WA Theater Arts’ (WATA) sound board as well as Ronan McElligott Memorial Playground at Edwards Beach, among many others. WEF also provides two WA seniors with scholarships every year.

“Over the past decade, we have given more than $400,000 back to the Westford community in the form of educational and professional development grants for the schools,” WEF’s website says. “Every school in the system has been positively impacted by the work WEF has done.”

According to Guthrie, a great deal of work is put in to make the events and fundraisers, such as the balloons for seniors, possible. Every year, WEF must coordinate with volunteers, as well as the Franco-American Club, the venue where the balloons are inflated.

“A lot goes on behind the scenes for the balloons. We have to order balloons and obtain enough helium to inflate them all,” Guthrie said. “It is work, but it is always rewarding when we see the balloons around town.”

WEF encourages members of the Westford community to volunteer with them, and can be reached at [email protected]. Signing up to volunteer with the balloons can be done here.