Boys’ basketball make way for the 2021-2022 season

Sophia Keang

WA Boys’ Varsity Basketball team regroups at the end of practice to discuss strategy.

Sophia Keang, Co-Managing Editor

The student section is packed with kids whited-out. They scream and cheer as WA Boys’ Basketball makes the last shot of the game. Time’s about to run out and only seven seconds are left on the clock. Sweat drips onto Coach Bramanti’s playboard, but little did everyone know, this would be the last game for the next 23 months.

Due to the surge of COVID-19 cases in 2020, WA did not allow many winter sports to play, canceling the WA Boys’ Basketball 2019-2020 season. Fortunately for the team, as Westford grows accustomed to the pandemic, they will be back on the court for the 2020-2021 season.

Senior captains Ethan Ewing, Griffin Eddy, and William Bramanti are optimistic about the upcoming season.

“The biggest thing I missed was definitely being on a team. Also, I felt that our team was going to be really well last year so I was bummed when news came out about the season being canceled,” William Bramanti said.

On the upside, team bonding won’t be an issue for the boys as they have known each other for years prior to playing WA basketball. While none of the captains plan to play basketball at the collegiate level, they hope that they will still leave an impression on WA basketball.

“We [seniors] have been playing together since fourth or fifth grade, so from the perspective of the team as a whole, I feel that team bonding won’t be that much of an issue […]. I think this year we’re just trying to pass down our knowledge to the juniors so they can succeed, and so they can teach younger years,” Eddy said.

This will be Coach Christopher Bramanti’s 10th season as head coach of the varsity team but his 25th season as being a part of WA boys’ basketball. He played Division II basketball at Bentley University for two years before transferring to further his education. Coach Bramanti is eager for the season and looking forward to their first home game of the season.

“I’m really excited for this season because I love seeing the boys playing and working as a team on and off the court,” Coach Bramanti said. “I was disappointed about the cancellation last year because our team had a lot of potential but I also see that with our team this season.”

During the offseason, Eddy, Bramanti, Ewing, and other players have participated in numerous fall and summer leagues that Coach Bramanti had signed them up for.

“Since the summer I am excited to see what the team can accomplish. I really look up to our captains and all the seniors on the team, so I’m just glad to have a season back,” Junior Justin Jones said.

Along with strengthening unity among the team, the boys often volunteer around the community as a group, meet each other for breakfast, or go bowling.

“On and off the court I love being around the boys. It’s really about the camaraderie and our seniors this year have outstanding leadership that will definitely show during our games,” Coach Bramanti said.

Furthermore, the boys will be working towards the DCL championship and Holiday Tournament. Captain Ewing anticipates that defense will be the team’s main focus for the season after their scrimmages with Tewksbury, Lexington, and Leominster.

“Coaches really love when we’re hustling and trying our best on defense which will ultimately lead into our overall offense when we start pushing fast,” Ewing said. “And since we have had a few practices and our scrimmages so far, we can start to see strengths and weaknesses of not only individual players but the team as a whole.”

While COVID-19 impacted WA sports tremendously, the WABB has realized the importance of being and playing in a team environment. On top of that, the players are ready for their family and friends to cheer them on and try not to dwell on the missed opportunities of last season.

“I’m looking forward to our student section and our spirit days the most. On Friday night games, our stands are usually packed with students dressed in whatever spirit is going on […]. We’re going to try and not take anything for granted,” Ewing said.

The team’s first game of the season is Friday, Dec. 17 at 7 p.m. in the WA main gym.

TEAM ROSTER:
Seniors:
No. 22 Peter Alexander (Team Manager)
No. 0 Jake Aylward
No. 2 Will Bramanti (Captain)
No. 10 Griffin Eddy (Captain)
No.1 Ethan Ewing (Captain)
No. 12 Luke Krikorian
No. 00 Rohun Voruganti
Juniors:
No. 4 Yuvi Gahlaut
No. 23 Asa Geller
No. 24 Ben Jones
No. 32 Justin Jones
No. 11 Alexander Movsessian
No. 3 Jack Sullivan

Click here to view the 2021-22 season game schedule

WA Varsity Boys Basketball Instagram: @waboysbasketball