Update: Westford Academy evacuated following internet trend gone wrong

John Vassiliou

A firetruck outside of WA.

John Vassiliou, Online Managing Editor

(Updated at 4:02, Friday, January 17, 2020) 

(Updated at 2:20, Saturday, January 18, 2020) 

Westford Academy was temporarily evacuated last Friday, January 17, by what an administrative letter to parents described as an “internet challenge” gone awry.

In the letter, the fad involved placing a phone charger block within an electrical circuit while leaving just enough space between the outlet and the block to drop a coin in to trip the breaker. However, instead of simply shorting out the power, the trick also caused an electrical surge causing smoke to come billowing out of the wall.

“I was standing near the back of my room and all of a sudden we hear a pop and I knew it wasn’t a cellphone noise…the kids sitting there turn[ed] and went ‘oh my gosh’ and I look and there’s black smoke coming out of the electrical socket,” history teacher Kristin McAnaney said, who was in one of the affected classrooms.

I told all my kids ‘get up get out of the classroom NOW’ and they all went out into the hallway. As soon as I made sure they were all out, the fire alarm went off,” McAnaney said.

Following the alarm, students assembled around WA while local fire authorities responded. After the two engines arrived, and the emergency personnel deemed the school safe, students were able to file back into the cafeteria and the PAC, before being sent back to their classes.

According to the letter, two individuals were caught in relation to the incident.

The stairwell in which the outlet was overloaded was shut off to the student body for the remainder of the school day. It is unknown whether or not it will be re-opened by the school’s opening next Tuesday.

What we know:

(Information below last updated on Friday, January 17, at 4:02 P.M.)

• WA students were hurriedly evacuated from classes today when an electrical outlet began to spark and smoke into nearby classrooms.
  • After an assessment from the fire department, students were able to file back into the school, where they met in the cafeteria before being sent back to their classes.
  • Following the incident, the stairwell containing the outlet was closed off to the student body.
  • “I was standing near the back of my room and all of a sudden we hear a pop and I knew it wasn’t a cellphone noise…the kids sitting there turn and went ‘oh  my gosh’ and I look and theres black smoke coming out of the electrical socket. I told all my kids ‘get up get out of the classroom NOW’ and they all went out into the hallway. As soon as I made sure they were all out, the fire alarm went off,” said social studies teacher Kristin McAnaney, who was in one of the immediately effected classrooms.
  • The school is currently investigating the incident.