WA Boys’ Tennis suffers shutout to Lexington

Back to Article
Back to Article

The WA boys' tennis team.

The WA boys' tennis team.

John Vassiliou

The WA boys' tennis team.

John Vassiliou

John Vassiliou

The WA boys' tennis team.

John Vassiliou, Staff Writer

The WA Boys’ Varsity Tennis Team suffered a stinging defeat Monday afternoon, effectively ending their season.

The game began with a hard fight for the initiative, consisting of five matches on five different courts. Playing singles were senior captain Saudip Manna on court #5, sophomore Oliver Davey on court #6, and junior Eric Han on court #2. Playing doubles were senior captain Shray Gurtata with sophomore Thomas Welham on court #3, and junior Kartik Prakash and senior captain Vishal Raghunath on court #4.

The first half hour seemed like the game was a toss-up, and courts #3 and #4 looked like they could go either way. Davey and Manna were holding their own on courts #5 and #6. However, the game soon began to come apart. Lexington began to win set after set on courts #5 and #6, court #3 also began to lose ground to Lexington.

“Me and Oliver both played very strong, textbook tennis…but they’re on another level,” Manna said.

An hour and a half into the game, the possibility of a WA victory had vanished, as Lexington already had the majority of wins necessary to end the game. However, Lexington’s good sportsmanship saw the game continue to determine the outcome of courts #2 and #3.

Within another half hour, court #3 had lost without gaining a single set. However, court #2 was a different story. The fighting on court #2 lasted for over another hour and a half, with Han holding fast and fighting hard the whole time. He won one set before the slip to Lexington began, and finally after a grueling three hours, the game was over, a complete shutout for WA.

“We competed really well,” Coach Peter Paltsios said. “Overall it was a great season, it was just a tough matchup today.”