GSA prepares for the approaching Day of Silence

Chloe Morbelli, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Westford Academy, through the initiative of and organization from the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA), is preparing for its annual Day of Silence to occur on Wednesday, March 21. With this event, students can choose to use their silence to show their support for the LGBTQ community.

This year, GSA has expanded the Day of Silence to also be a fundraiser and party. The club plans to sell pride flag themed knick knacks before school and during the lunch periods on the 21st. They will also host a “Breaking the Silence” party after school in room 150 to celebrate the day and learn more about GSA. 

Originating in 1966, the Day of Silence is a nationwide event that traditionally takes place in April. WA holds theirs in March with many seniors wanting to participate before leaving on capstone.  

Robin Miller is a senior at WA and a co-leader of GSA. 2018 will be her fourth year partaking in and coordinating the Day of Silence.

“By staying silent, I hope and know that LGBTQ students are seeing this show of support for them and their struggles, and knowing that hundreds of people in the school are on their side is something really inspiring,” Miller said.

This is one of GSA’s largest events of the year. Overall, the club serves as a safe place for LGBTQ students and their allies. Through its community and events, GSA creates a support network where students can come to be their genuine selves without fear of judgement.

The 2018 Day of Silence differs from its previous ones as GSA will fundraise for the Trevor Project, a suicide hotline for LGBTQ youth.

“We will be selling rainbow wristbands and flags, as well as LGBTQ themed pins that have been made by GSA members. All of these will be sold for one dollar on the Day of Silence before school and during lunch to fundraise for the Trevor Project,” Miller explained.

At WA, the Day of Silence typically gains the participation of a couple hundred students. GSA is always looking for more support for the event. Miller hopes that more students choose to participate in the Day of Silence, and her and other co-leaders are working hard to spread awareness for it. Through flyers, an announcement on WABC, and word of mouth, she hopes to reach many students.

“I’ve participated in the event since my freshman year, and each year I come away with a fresh perspective. I do think the Day of Silence is very effective… once you actually try being silent for a day or having your classmates be silent for a day, it really gets the message across,” she said.

Students wishing to participate in the Day of Silence can get a pass from Ms. Winokur in room 150 that explains their inability to speak on Wednesday.