Adjusted Midterm Schedule announced by admin

Andrew Friel, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Following two snow days on January 4th and 5th, the administration of Westford Academy met on Monday to decide what to do as it pertains to the midterm schedule considering the missed class time. After a bit of delay, the schedule was announced as follows: Midterms will begin on Friday, January 19th, starting with A and B,and continuing the standard schedule of midterms following the weekend.

Principal Jim Antonelli detailed the process in order to decide how to handle the midterm decision, especially considering the lost days in October after a large storm that knocked out power around town. With the hopes of pleasing almost everyone in the building, Antonelli laid out his thought process when establishing the new schedule.

“Keeping in mind the framework of Challenge Success, we’re making sure that we’re keeping student stress levels down. I like having that weekend [between the midterm days],” Antonelli said.

Antonelli also noted that the midterms needed to occur relatively on time, as seniors need to send their mid-year grades to any schools who have requested them as part of the admissions process.

Those deciding this change was all members of the administrative team, including all deans, Antonelli, and many members of the Guidance department as well.

As it pertains to possible snow days between now and the beginning of midterms, Antonelli is going to wait and see what happens, and then deal with the situation if it arises.

“If we get hit in the middle of exams, it will be an easier adjustment. We’ll take it one day at a time,” Antonelli said.

Overall, Antonelli is hoping he has struck a balance with stress and good timing, and will deal with any new situations as they arrive.