Athletes commit to college

By Kyle Auger 
Editor-in-Chief

Westford Academy has a history of strong athletics and this year’s senior class is no different with several athletes from this graduating class committing to prestigious schools to continue their athletic careers.

More and more students have decided to play in college, and the value is climbing. Committed students come from all sports ranging from basketball to lacrosse are planing to play across the nation.

At this time of the year, Athletic Director Dan Twomey is an extremely busy man, but he had time to comment on this year’s class of athletes in comparison to those from the past.

“There’s definitely some big names, like Jen [Marrkand] at Virginia and Jay [Drapeau] at Loyola,” said  Twomey.

A so called “big name” Drapeau is moving on to play at Division I lacrosse powerhouse Loyola in Maryland, and the experience of getting into the school was a life-changing one.

“I was very excited, they were my top choice for schools so when I heard that they had wanted me I was very excited.” said Drapeau.

Another lacrosse standout is senior Alex Antes, who recently decided to attend Wheaton College to join their lacrosse team and is excited for the challenge ahead of them.

“I am ready. I want to get after it on the Division III lacrosse field. I like the challenge,” said Antes.

Like Antes, Ryan Hesseltine will be taking his lacrosse skills to the Division II field. However, he will be far from Wheaton College, as he is attending Saint Anselm’s. Despite the extreme change in competition, he is not intimidated.

“I wouldn’t say I am afraid but I’m sure at first I will be a little nervous because of how much different lacrosse is in college,” said Hesseltine.

Although people think this road to college is easier, Hesseltine’s experience completely disproves this theory.

“I did a lot of summer tournaments for my club lacrosse team. I emailed coaches letting them know where I was playing and sending them highlight videos and did a few college visits and overnight [visits],” said Hesseltine.

Another future Saint Anselm Hawk will be Allia Connoly who will join the field hockey squad.

“I wanted to play Division I so badly and go to a big university,  knowing that I would have to sacrifice all my time to field hockey. But my heart was set on St. Anselm’s and I fell in love with the field hockey program, the school, the location and also my parents loved it too,” said Connoly.

Lacrosse is not the only sport that produces standouts, as Haley Doucette is moving on to row at Northeastern as a Husky.

“I was nervous at first, but knew what my goal was and kept going for it. I worked so hard. Ever since sophomore year, NU had been my top school and I told myself I would get there no matter what,” said Doucette.

This is certainly a huge adjustment, but in the eyes of Twomey, student athletes from all sorts of sports are able to pursue their passions if even by walking on at Division III schools.

“It’s such a different number because kids are playing at some Division III schools, and they try out or walk on,” said Twomey.

Far more athletes than the ones we’ve talked to are playing at the collegiate level, and more commitments are rolling in, as it’s clear this class of Ghosts will be playing in jerseys that are not maroon.