Craig rocks the role

Renee Craig’s headshot taken by Anna Hartmann

By Jenny Watts

Few people have the perseverance, determination, and confidence necessary to perform on stage. In Westford Academy Theatre Arts’ production of Steel Magnolias, written by Robert Harling and directed by Dennis Canty, junior Renee Craig plays the challenging role of Shelby, who is a stubborn, strong minded woman with diabetes.

Craig could not have been more thrilled when she found out she got the role.

“Oh my God, I died. It was the only role I read for in callbacks, and I was surprised because I didn’t know if that was my type or not. I really fell in love with the part,” said Craig.

She says that rehearsals are a lot of fun, and the cast gets along well.

“We’re all in it to win it really, we’re all hard workers and we want the show to succeed,” she said.

To prepare for her role, Craig spent time researching diabetes, both talking to friends who have diabetes and doing her own investigation. She also spent time working on her southern dialect.

Craig’s fellow actors and production members are extremely supportive of the work she has put into this role.

“Renee is such an asset to the show. She brings energy to rehearsals, and her portrayal of Shelby is spot on… I love working with her. She has an incredible attitude, and her constant positivity is refreshing,” said fellow actress Laura Pickersgill.

Even stage manager Dayle Welch, who spends rehearsals creating the world that the characters live in, has praise for Craig and her efforts.

“From the moment she walks on stage you just fall in love with her character. Renee adds an incredibly positive energy to the play as a whole. She gives Shelby such a lovable personality that the audience will really connect to,” said Welch.

Craig and her fellow actors alike feel fairly confident in the play at its present moment.

“Every play has a moment where you change one little thing, and everything suddenly comes together. That’s where we are right now,” said Welch.

Craig agrees, and feels confident in the current state of the play.

“I just feel like it keeps growing. I’m just really excited because it’s such a beautiful show with a beautiful message,” said Craig.

One of the major obstacles Craig and the other actors have faced throughout the show is the memorization.

“There are a lot of lines. It’s a six people and it’s a two-hour show… it’s also very fast paced,” said Craig.

Another obstacle Craig has faced is during one scene where her character has a diabetic seizure.

“It worked very well [the other day], and I really felt it, but I don’t want to look stupid or have everyone think, ‘Oh, what is Renee doing?’ I’m really glad Dennis let me work and built upon it. I feel like its really coming along,” said Craig.

With long rehearsal hours, cast bonding, and plenty of support, Craig sums up her efforts saying, “I really want to do justice to this character and her life. Shelby is an amazing character, and I really want to portray this wonderful powerful woman.”