Girls’ Hockey caps off senior night with rivalry win

Dan Allison, Writer

On Thursday the 16th of February, the Frank “Junie” O’Brien ice rink was decked out in streamers and balloons as the girl’s hockey program was ready to send off their seniors.

Five seniors laced their skates for the last time at their “home” rink: Kylie Gray, Hannah Keefe, Taylor Pacifico, Katie Popp, and Kerri Bolivar

Before puck drop, these five were honored with pregame mentions that included their accomplishments from the PA announcer and receiving flowers from their coach. The crowd cheered to show appreciation for everything these players have given to the program.

The game started with slow, neutral play as the puck flew around the outside. Both teams played it safe until WA broke into AB’s zone.

Westford started their attack and kept pounding the puck in the offensive zone while AB played scared. Acton could not seem to start an offensive push and WA took advantage. It was only a matter of time until a fastbreak broke out off a faceoff and #7 Sam Mustante found the back of the net to put the Ghosts up 1-0 early.

With an early deficit, Acton found themselves  struggling to execute with Westford outclassing them on both sides. WA looked to be in a shootaround rather than a game due to their surplus of shots on goal.

WA’s offensive consistency paid off with a goal from #22 Kayleigh Butler with 4 minutes and 17 seconds left in the 1st period.

The second period started, and AB looked to flip the script. The Colonials worked the puck in WA’s zone for the first time, but a strong Westford defense limited most shots and chances of scoring. The Ghost’s 1st period play seemed to transfer over to the 2nd and with 12:40 in the period, Kayleigh Butler netted her 2nd goal of the game. Westford took a big 3 goal lead with still a lot of hockey left to play.

The game seemed to be over before the buzzer sounded, but the Colonials kept on fighting. The rest of the game included scuffles and scrappy play featuring matching 2:00 penalties for both the Ghosts and Acton. Westford’s dominating offense pursued, but Acton looked to put a number on the board.

Even with Acton’s strong attempts, freshman Allie Kingsley completed a full game shutout with shutting down all of AB’s chances.

It was a night dedicated for the seniors, but junior Kayleigh Butler made it tough for her name to be left out of the conversation after a 2 goal performance.

“I thought we came out with a lot of energy, and we were ready to go. We knew that this game was an important game to win not only for a better seed in the tourney, but also to honor the seniors who play their hearts out every game.” Butler said. “We knew our mission and we played our hearts out.”

The final buzzer sounded with a final score of 3-0 WA, and the Ghosts and Colonials lined up for a postgame handshake. While skating off the ice, the Ghosts were welcomed with cheers and hollers for a great game played by all.