DECA Slams States

By Aditi Patil

Last weekend, 108 Westford Academy students returned from the DECA Massachusetts State Competition.

This year, 200 students joined DECA [Distributive Educators Club of America]. For that, WA won the Gold Level Award for increased membership. It was also recognized for being the 2nd largest chapter in Massachusetts. These are only two out of 70 achievement awards that were won by WA.

“I didn’t anticipate these many people joining the club this year. It makes me happy,” said DECA advisor, John Rogers.

At the Massachusetts States competition there is a collection of all the students that placed top seven in their district group. This year it was more than 1600 students representing 62 high schools.

“There are always a ton of people at states. It’s a good environment. Usually there aren’t many freshmen at states. But this year we had four of them come,” said Rogers.

“But none of the freshman got into the next round,” said one of the freshman who qualified for states, Abby Cianciolo.

“I’m proud of myself for making it to states. And I hope that next year, when we are sophomores, other kids in our grade will make it,” said another of the freshmen, Jayne Pilachowski.

There were 22 sophomores, junior and senior students who qualified for the internationals. This year will be the 65th anniversary of the ICDC, of the International Career Development Conference.  This conference is a meeting of students from all over the world. In total, there are around 14,000 people altogether attending, including advisors, alumni, and business people. According to Rogers it is a great opportunity for students hoping to learn more about the field of business, especially since representatives from actually businesses attend.

John Tutti and Mike McHugh holding trophies

Rogers has no qualms about this year’s performance. His only hopes for improving next year are expanding the club.

“Next year I hope that everyone joins. And then everyone maybe we could also have everyone go to states,” said Rogers.

The two freshmen, on the other hand, found some areas in which they’d like to improve. Both wanted higher scores next year.

“I have no regrets since this was my first year. I can prepare better in the future,” said Cianciolo.

Since there was such a myriad of people who qualified for states, there were two buses full of students. The students all stayed at the Marriot Coakley hotel. Dean Adam Goldberg among some other volunteers were supervising. They got back late on Sunday, March 13.

“The hotel was fun and nice but there were also many people which made it hectic,” said Pilachowski.

“I guess I’m glad that we are back at home,” said Rogers.

Its seems like Roger’s aspirations to accumulate more member for DECA next year are all ready in the process of coming true.

“DECA was fun and you learned a lot. I’d advise joining if you were interested in that sort of thing. There are also good opportunities for scholarships,” said Cianciolo.

“I’ve all ready signed up for my business class next year,” said Pilachowski.