Priyanka Ram: Professional Pianist?

Priyanka Ram, pianist
Priyanka Ram is a renowned pianist.

By Anastasha Echavarri

Sophomore Priyanka Ram plays the piano like no other at Westford Academy. For the past four years, judges at the National Competition of Fine Arts (NCFA) would have to agree.

Since the young age of 8, Ram has loved the idea of playing music. Inspired by her parents to try and have as many experiences and opportunities as possible as a young girl, Ram combined her passion for music and her parents’ encouragement and instantly took to playing the piano.

Her piano teacher, Niva Fried, is one of the many reasons why she’s made it to Carnegie Hall for the past four years. For the longest time, she would teach Ram at a workshop in Westford. Fried knew, though, that Ram had the talent to make it to Carnegie can could not pass up the chance to enter her in the NCFA.

The NCFA entailed Ram playing various pieces for several judges and depending on how well she did, judges would place her in a hall so as to move on in the competition. However, during Ram’s first year, she was not placed in Carnegie Hall where the top pianists played, but in the second best hall, Merkin.

“I was disappointed when I found out that I couldn’t go to Carnegie Hall, so my goal was to get better and go next year,” said Ram.

Ram’s first year at Carnegie was full of emotions; nervousness, but for the most part, excitement.

“When I got there the first thing I realized was how beautiful the hall was—and how many people were there,” said Ram.

Accompanying Ram were about 80 other students from all over the nation, and in the audience, her mother and cousin.

“When I grow up, I definitely want to become a professional pianist,” said Ram.