A Fashion Column: At the Oscars

by Catherine Pears

Co-Editor-in-Chief

Some of us watch the Oscars for an entirely different reason than the cinematic feats being honored.  We watch for the pure pleasure of seeing celebrities actually posing for photos in their borrowed, designer gowns instead of being chased down for them. Once our “stars” have finished their time on the red carpet, it is much easier to focus on who actually wins the awards. (For a complete list of the winners from someone who paid attention, click here.)

Cate Blanchett poses in her Givenchy gown. Photo courtesy of Harper's Bazaar.

zut that hour long pre-show filled with awkward interviews and an innumerable amount of  label-name dropping is my favorite time of the night. Many have complained that this year’s gowns were quite dull but I think most of us would prefer to see beautiful, wearable gowns than unnecessary swan-leotards. (See: Bjork, 2001)

Amy Adams wears a L'Wren Scott gown. Photo courtesy of Harper's Bazaar.

Possibly the biggest upset of the evening was Marisa Tomei’s dress. She wore a vintage, navy, Charles James gown. Critics are split on whether or not Tomei’s dress was a good decision. Although I’m all for standing out amongst the sometimes monotonous red carpet crowd, the theme for the evening was long, slim dresses and in this case it would have been better if Tomei went with the flow.

Many prom dress designers will take note of this year’s Oscars. A grand total of six stars were donned in sparkles and diamonds including Halle Berry, Hilary Swank, and Amy Adams.Hopefully they will notice the unending collection of sparkling dresses and use them as inspiration for their new designs.  It would be a welcomed change from the constant parade of satin cut-outs in neon colors. At least for now, I will have to find solace in my dreams of wearing designer.

Who was the “Best Dressed” winner of the night you might ask? My pick was not very difficult to determine. Although I did enjoy the paparazzi-induced camera glare bouncing off the gowns, this dress was decked in a more subtle jewel: pearls. Cate Blanchett’s Givenchy dress was simple, yet stood out. Although, definitely not everyone’s cup of tea, Blanchett gets my vote for understanding that diamonds are not always a girl’s best friend.

Stay classy Westford Academy.

Check back next month- once we stop living in the arctic, you never know what could happen!