Coffee Smackdown

By Shannon Donahue

Photo credit to: SeattlePI.com
Photo credit to: SeattlePI.com

With two coffee shops in town, Dunkin’ Donuts, and Starbucks, Westford Academy students have the option to drink either coffee.

The debate recently came up as to which was the better drink, or in this case, which is more popular in our school.

With help from six taste-testers, and two students willing to be interviewed, I was able to gather some research about which drink was preferred, and why.

In order to perform the taste-test, I had to bring in two coffees, one from Starbucks, and the other from Dunkin’ Donuts. Each coffee was prepared the same, black.

Each taste-tester then put in their own amount of sugar and milk. Once they had prepared each cup, labeled as A or B, the testing began.

One tester said that they liked the Starbucks drink more because it was stronger, and, “more flavorful”.

Another stated that the Dunkin’ Donuts coffee was better because it wasn’t as strong, and didn’t have “a funny after-taste”.

Most responses in favor of Dunkin’ Donuts explained that it was preferred because it wasn’t as strong as the opposing coffee.

Of the two interviewed outside of the test, one preferred Starbucks, whereas the other chose the coffee that “keeps this country running”, Dunkin’ Donuts.

“They have kind of more of a variety, and the coffee is stronger. I can’t drink Dunkin’ Donuts coffee ‘cause its not strong enough for me” explained, Sabrina Lane-Smith, on why she prefers Starbucks coffee.

In opposition, is James Knowles, he explained, “Starbucks is gross, they’re like, overpriced…and it’s like disgusting.”

So, WA, it seems that the preference over Dunkin’s or Starbucks isn’t necessarily over the taste, but how strong a coffee you prefer.

If you are looking for a nice strong cup of coffee, chances are you would feel at home with Starbucks whereas if you find strong coffees “gross”, Dunkin’ Donuts may be the way to go.

So, WA, the choice is yours, which, in your opinion has the better coffee? Dunkin’ Donuts or Starbucks?