Kastritis will miss students

By Alex Lee

“In the last age of my career, you’re here to entertain me,” Jim Kastritis of the history department remarked sarcastically to his students.

After thirty-five years, Kastritis is in the final stretch his teaching career, as he plans to retire at the end of this year.

Kastritis is planning to move to Cape Cod and spend his time boating and fishing with his wife after retirement. He is also considering perhaps acquiring a part-time job at the Marina, a sheltered harbor where boats and yachts are kept in the water.

Throughout his nine years at Westford Academy, Kastritis has taught a hodgepodge of subjects including World History, US History, Current Affairs, and Psychology. He has also been an advisor for International Relations for eight years, which, for nostalgic purposes, he will continue with after retirement.

He described this time as “the best nine years of my career; there is not a better place a professional can be due to the staff, the administration, and the kids.”

Kastritis is especially fond of teaching revolutionary periods such as the French Revolution and the Russian Revolution.

He says, “Times of significant change and foreign interactions interest me”.

Although Kastritis’ zeal for history may have played a role, above all, the students are the main contributors to his love of teaching.

Jim Kastritis describes this thoroughly as “I do love history but the students keep you active and on your toes.”

In the past, Jim Kastritis has even turned down offers to move to higher positions in the school because he does not want a detachment to occur between him and his students.

In fact, Kastritis stated that more than anything he will miss the interaction with the kids after retirement. He wants his students not only to improve in academics, but he also wants them to become more social and mentally strong.

Kastritis believes that school is not only about learning about topics like “the Russian Revolution, Trigonometry, and Physics”, but it is also about learning “common sense” and rules of life.

If Kastritis was able bestow only one lesson to his students it would be: “Life is competitive. When things don’t go in the right direction, you have to be tough.”