An election for education

Back to Article
Back to Article

An election for education

Hannah Thomas and Anushka Patil (Left, Center) Interview Jim Martin (Right) in Chicago.

John Vassiliou, Anushka Patil, and Hannah Thomas

America will take to the polls in four days  to determine which party will hold the dominant positions in the House of Representatives and the Senate.

There is little doubt that this election will draw voters to the voting booths for a variety of reasons. From national issues, to local elections, people are mobilizing to make their voices heard at the polls.

The Republicans have held a majority in both the House and Senate for the entirety of the Trump presidency, and are hoping to hold onto their seats, while the Democrats have been looking to gain control of both legislative bodies. As the positions currently stand. The Republican party currently has a lead over the Democrats in the Senate by 4 Senators, 47-51 with 2 Independents. Out of those seats, 35 will be up for grabs come November 6.

In the House of Representatives, the Republican party is enjoying a lead of 42 seats over the Democrats with 7 current vacancies bringing the total breakdown to 193-235. All of these seats will be contested.

Though elections aren’t starting until the 6th, many people have already set their minds on who they are going to vote for, and what their positions are.

One of the most important, and far reaching issues that the legislature has control over is the breakdown of education in the country.

“As long as we have that lady named DeVos, as Secretary of Education, I don’t think you guys [are] going to go anywhere,”democrat voting Eric Hawkins said.

Another issue that will be approached is the different amount of funds for the different types of schools. Arguments as to whether money is going to the right places are another part of the debate.

“My kids have had private and public [education]. Both are viable, and I would think that democrats would have a much better shot at evening out the playing field,” democrat voting Jim Martin said.

Finally, another issue that was brought up was the delegation of power to public an private schools, and which should recieve the most attention from parents and the state alike.

“More funding in the private as well as the public sector to better the different programs like band,” democrat voting Eric Entener said.

“Everybody needs to be educated, so that’s the most important priority I think for any human being,” one woman said.

WATCH BELOW:

About the Writers
John Vassiliou, Editor

My name is John Vassiliou, I live in Westford and I am a Junior at Westford Academy. I like studying history, reading, writing and spending time with my...

Anushka Patil, Staff Writer

My name is Anushka and I attend Westford Academy as a freshman. I take the journalism course at WA because I am interested in improving my abilities in...

Hannah Thomas, Staff Writer

I like to eat food such as noodles. I also like to read science fiction, crime, etc. Agatha Christie is my favorite author and my favorite subjects...