Kacherian makes her mark on WA

Track apparatus at WA

Mehul Shrivatstava, News Editor

Junior Paige Kacherian is new to WA this year, and she has already managed to make a name for herself in the community. Mentioned on the Westford Eagle multiple times, Kacherian is a rising star in the athletics department, and has been recognized for excellence in track and field as well as volleyball.

Kacherian has been playing volleyball for three years, and has been part of track for five years. She originally started doing sports to make friends and to experience how it is to be on a team, and over the years, she has made connections not only in her teams, but with other teams as well.

“You get a lot of exposure from interacting with different people and meeting tons of new people,” Kacherian said.

Over the years, Kacherian developed an interest for jumping events in track and field, especially the high jump. In volleyball, she has really come to value her teammates and coaches.

Sports are a major time and financial commitment for students, and Kacherian has practice for six days a week for each sport. The work and commitment is not just limited to the school year, as there are multiple camps and clubs over the summer that are required as well.

Kacherian emphasized that doing sports for multiple seasons is not always easy, and balancing schoolwork and athletics has been a challenge. However, she has created a routine that she is now accustomed to, and it keeps her busy.

“If I’m not busy, I tend to procrastinate, so having [the busy schedule] makes it easier for me,” Kacherian said.

Not only does her involvement in sports keep her busy and productive, but this year has been much more rewarding for Kacherian than her previous ones. As part of track and field, she received her personal best in triple jump, thirty-four feet and one inch, and in volleyball, she had a much better coach and team this year compared to her previous school.  Furthermore, being a part of WA teams has helped Kacherian socially transition into the school district.

Kacherian’s father, who has always been helpful and supportive when it came to sports, has made sure that Kacherian pushed herself to the best of her abilities.

“He encourages me to  do more in the sports, and he pumps me up,” Kacherian said.

Brandon Eang, the girls’ volleyball coach, is also someone Kacherian admires and looks to for advice.

“He is a great coach. At first he’s really quiet and laid back, but then you get to know him and he’s really funny and influential,” Kacherian said.

Eang described Kacherian as a powerful hitter, good blocker, and overall skilled player. She is consistent with the way she plays, and regularly scores during games. Furthermore, as a teammate, she gets along with everyone and people often look up to her.

“She’s a good player to begin with, and just with some slight adjustments, suggestions, things like that, she’s willing to adapt, she’s willing to listen and make adjustments, and that’s why she became such a good player,” Eang said.