Winter months unearth S.A.D. in some

Alisha Sabnis, Staff Writer

Seasonal Affective Disorder, or S.A.D., is a mood disorder that falls under the category of depression which occurs during around the same time every year. Being a common disorder, many students are currently or have experienced S.A.D. at Westford Academy. School Psychologist Steve Cuhna, helps the students overcome disorders like S.A.D. and other types of depression.

The stress of midterms contribute to people experiencing SAD.

Cuhna has been a psychologist for three years and has worked at WA for three years as well. He has had many students come to him for help with seasonal depression but also knows that there are many others who have not seeked help that have SAD.

“I hope kids reach out for help, if they’re feeling down or overly stressed or acting differently. There are ways of treating this and most people have probably dealt with some sort of depression and these feelings in the past. People understand. This happens, it’s not unusual,” said Cuhna.

S.A.D. is a common mood disorder, particularly with females that happens during a certain time in the year. While it is found to happen to adults, S.A.D. is more prevalent with younger people whose brains are still developing. It is also difficult to determine whether someone is experiencing S.A.D. vs another depressive mood disorder.

Most students don’t know who to reach out to or feel ashamed to do so. Some students think they can handle it on their own, which in some cases is possible. Seasonal Depression comes and goes so students may not reach out.

“I think there are many more students here that I don’t know who are experiencing some sort of depression whether it’s stress, or seasonal,” said Cuhna.

There are some students who seek help when they are experiencing problems that interfere with their life. Whether they go to Cuhna or the guidance counselors,

“If somebody comes on their own to talk to me, there’s a reason why they are reaching out to me. Sometimes they come and I just listen, if there is a lot going on in their mind, I’ll let them come in and vent for half an hour and help them see the positive side and give them some tips for action that will help them feel better or deal with the problem. It’s when somebody doesn’t want to talk and I have to go and find someone, they’re not as open” said Cuhna.

S.A.D. is a disorder that is very treatable. It is not permanent and is possible for people to rid of. One of the most common ways people treat S.A.D. is by using light therapy. Light therapy is carried out by a machine that mimic the rays of the sun. A person stands two feet away from it and the light shines on them for 20-30 minutes which helps “lighten” up someone’s mood. There is also cognitive behavioral therapy which focuses on challenging thoughts. Besides light therapy, S.A.D. is treated like other depressive disorders.

Click on the video to see WA guidance counselors, Heidi Hider and Lynda Vernalia speaking about S.A.D. Following them, are a few quotes from different students who experience Seasonal Affective Disorder and how they cope with it.