Playoff Preview: Boys Basketball vs. Shrewsbury

Peter Conway

Boys Basketball team
    Boys Basketball team

On Thursday February 26th at 6:30, the number-one seeded Boys’ Basketball team will be facing the eighth-seeded Shrewsbury Colonials. This game will mark the first round of the Central Mass section of the state tournament.

Realistically, this game should sway in the Ghosts favor. Of course, being the number one seed gives some glimpse of the star-power on the squad, but it cannot quite capture the unique skill this set of players possesses.

One of the Colonials strongest factors is there height. All five of their starters haul a height of atleast six feet. This means it is up too Westford to maintain control under the hoop and win rebounds.

However, a stat like this must not intimidate a player like senior captain, Eric McCord.  He has a whopping height of 6’7″ and has been dominant on the court all season. He has true power underneath the hoop, which becomes clear based on the way he rebounds or protects the ball as he lays it up.

The Ghosts have no fault in the way they shoot either. Senior captain Dan Cornelius along with senior Chris Imbriaco and junior Patrick Coffey have continuously showcased their impecable releases all season. Don’t count these guys out when they shoot, because more often then not it is going to fall.

Cornelius has a few things he wants to make sure of himself, he says, “I want to make sure everyone is mentally focused. As well as keeping the players relaxed and as confident in their abilities as possible.”

One thing to note about the Shrewsbury Colonials is that they show up to play for the right games. This season there has been a pattern of them upsetting higher ranked teams, yet falling to a lesser skilled squad.

The majority of the Westford team is inexperienced when it comes to playoff basketball, but this does not concern Cornelius.

“Going into this game our team is inexperienced in the playoffs… what we need to do is remain confident like we have all year. And if we can do that, then I think we [will] have a good shot,” says Cornelius.

Boys Basketball team after winning a tournament earlier this season.