Listening Lunch Draws A Huge Crowd

By Darcy Gervais

Today during all four lunches the library held a “Listening Lunch” in which all students were invited to eat lunch in the library while various students from all grade levels portrayed there musical talents by singing, playing a variety of instruments, and even collaborating with teachers and staff members at WA.

“The Listening Lunch it is a collaborative effort between the WA library staff and the music /theater arts program to provide our students more opportunities to share their musical and poetic talents in a smaller relaxed setting. No pressure…no rubrics…just a friendly audience cheering students and faculty on. Students can play musical instruments, sing, recite poetry, and maybe even dance,” Mrs. Pietras, one of the librarians in charge of the Listening Lunch, said.

There were no lack of performers at the first Listening Lunch since last May; a variety of of students and staff members were ready to show off their instrumental and vocal talents.

One performance that stood out in particular was a collaboration between sophomore Jillian Frankel and English teacher Chris Gosselin.

Frankel performed vocals to “Think of Me” and “Wishing You’re Somehow Here Again”, both Phantom of the Opera originals in which she plays the lead in Mike Tower’s production here at WA. Gosselin accompanied Frankel on keyboard.

“I always get nervous before I perform. I wasn’t too bad today, but I usually get more nervous at shows. Once I start singing though, it goes away,” Frankel said.

The Listening Lunch was no doubt successful and drew in many people as lunches let out. After seeing how big of a crowd it brought in many people were wondering if it is going to be a continued event.

“I hope they continue it. That would be fun. I think a lot of people enjoyed it,” Frankel said.