New Teacher Profile: Scott Cruikshank

By Chris Segien

Westford Academy has a new addition to the staff: Scott Cruikshank. Cruikshank will be teaching World History and Advanced Placement Psychology for his first year of teaching. He received the job offer in July, and immediately took the job.

Cruikshank is a graduate of WA, and is proud of his roots. He was actively involved in theatre at WA, and continued that passion into college. Cruikshank attended Duke University, and musically directed six shows there. His passion for drama is something that has continues today.

Being a new teacher, Cruikshank has learned that there is a wide range of students attending WA. He took mostly honors and advanced placement courses in high school, so he was not fully aware of the wide range of ability levels at the school.

Although it may sound like a cliché, Cruikshank enjoys giving back to WA. He believes that he could potentially be involved in administration down the road, but will stay in education.

Cruikshank says that the hardest part of being a new teacher is the intense amount of paperwork necessary. He believes that since he is new, he must assert himself. Cruikshank commands a level of respect from his students that he returns back to them. He says that new teachers must realize the resources available to them.

While Cruikshank does not have a favorite class, he enjoys teaching the freshmen because of their energy and the AP students for their dedication. He is proud of his legacy at WA, and hopes to continue it into his teaching career.

“What better place to start than WA?” said Cruikshank.

View Comments (2)