WATA’s Code Monkey, A Vacation from the Real

Sameer Kini
Sports Editor

Every year, Westford Academy Theater Arts puts on a musical as one of its shows. This year they have decided to put on Code Monkey, a play written and directed by Luke Jorgensen. The show originally debuted in 2009 at Boston College, and now WATA will undertake its production, with the musical debuting on Saturday November 12th, instead of the scheduled Friday November 11th, and running on five days up until the 19th.

The play itself is a comedic twist on the age old boy meets girl story. The story follows the boy losing his girl to the evil CEO of the company he works at. However, the real hilarity ensues as the boy devolves into a monkey and teams up with his girl to to battle a zombie army. This unorthodox story comes complete with fantastic music and choreography, which should make it fun for the whole family.

Starring in the leading roles are Chris Kandra and Jill Frankel, who are playing Rob and Betty, respectively. Will Clark stars as the villainous Dr. Martin, who aims to steal Betty away from Rob. Other actors with integral roles include Dylan McCusker as Scarface, Nick Nudler as Tom, Leah DeTolla as Laura, Sam Nudler as Bobo the monkey, and Chris Horsey appearing as President Barack Obama.

“People should see Code Monkey because it is a vacation from the real. The play is not a drama, not a typical musical, but is an over-the-top theatrical experience that totally engages the audience. And it’s funny,” remarked Will Clark.

The play, which was originally set to debut on the 11th, will now have its first performance on the 12th. However the cast and crew have been working diligently to use that extra time for the best, as Clark went on to say that, “we need to tighten up some moments on stage, finalize technical ques, and take large risks.”

All this extra work being put in by everyone associated with the production should lead to a phenomenal experience for everyone who goes to see the musical. However, Clark hopes that many will keep an open mind heading into the production so as to enjoy the wonderful absurdity of what occurs in the story, “some may claim, ‘Code Monkey is silly,’ or ‘that wouldn’t ever happen in real life,’ but what is wonderful about this show is that the zombie warriors, aliens, and sudden appearance of President Obama are all viable in the crazy, fast-paced world we create.”

Overall, the play looks to be an escape from real life for the viewers. The musical is unlike any other production that WATA has ever undertaken, making it a risk that will surely be knocked out of the park.