German Exchange Continues to Succeed

By Haley Verre

Every year,  Westford Academy sophomores, juniors, and seniors participate in the German exchange program. To experience another culture, German students  stay here in Westford for three weeks during the fall and the Westford Academy students spend three weeks in Germany over the summer.

The school is involved with the German-American Partnership Program (GAPP) to give students who are interested in other cultures a chance to travel. This year, German teacher Kristin Gillett is taking over the exchange program at the school.

Gillett’s biggest hope is that the students will “get to know the other culture through hosting, that it will be a good experience for them, (and) that they’ll get along with their partners.” She also hopes the students will spare some time to get to know each other.

Julie Stumpf, a junior from Germany, is looking forward to gaining a lot of experience from the exchange program, classes, and “taking a lot of photos.”

Stumpf, who has been learning English since the third grade, stated that in some ways there is a major difference between Germany and America, but altogether they are similar. She finds there are a lot of American clichés, but most are not true.

She is staying with Maddy Bernard, a Westford Academy student who is also in the eleventh grade. So far, both have enjoyed the experience.

Bernard has been learning German since the seventh grade and is excited to go to Germany over the summer. She hopes to “experience a different culture” and “see everything…just traveling.”

Gillett encourages other Westford Academy students to take the time to get to know the German students while they are here for these three weeks.