Welcome Mr. Scully

By Lauren Cullen & Matt Miller
Staff Writers

Mr. Scully is a history teacher new to WA.

Q: So you’re new to WA. How do you like it so far?

A: So far my experience has been extremely positive. The kids have been very receptive, and it’s a great department to work in, the social studies department.

Q: How long have you been teaching?

A: I have taught for twelve years at a few different schools.

Q: Where have you taught before?

A: I taught in an alternative school in 4 years, then Lynnfield for 6 years, and then I was out in New York for a couple as well.

Q:  What school system has been your favorite to teach in, why?

A: The correct answer so far would be to say Westford Academy, but being a month in I would have to say I did have a great experience in Lynnfield. The students seem very comparable to the type of student we see here at Westford Academy.

Q: Did you always know you would become a history teacher?

A: No, I thought I would become an accountant. I took one semester at Bentley College and very quickly decided that wasn’t what I wanted to do. So, I decided to combine my passion for history and educating youth. It was a logical decision to steer towards teaching.

Q: Have you visited any historical places?

A: I’ve run student tours, and I’ve personally visited Paris and visited all the historical places you can go like Normandy Beaches of France. I’ve also been to Stonehenge, all of the sights around London, Italy from places like Rome to even Milan, Greece, Auschwitz, and Poland. Those are just some of the places I’ve been.

Q: What class are you most excited to teach this year?

A: Probably World History 1 because I haven’t taught that in a while, but I love to teach contemporary history as well so U.S. History 2 also. It’s nice to have re-exposure to that curriculum that I haven’t taught in 7 years.

Q: What time period is your favorite to teach?

A: I have to say I got really connected to the World History 2 curriculum for several years. So basically from the French revolution in 1789 up until the present because it’s easier to make connections because they somehow they have a connection or their parents have a connection to that curriculum.

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to tell me?

A: Like I said it seems like a very positive environment and a very collegiate environment. There seems to be an excitement to learn and so I’m really looking forward to it.