David Ran (and Won) for President

By Tanvi Verma

On June 6, freshman David Ran was elected for Class President of the class of 2014 against six other contestants. He is aided by Vice President Akshay Bhadarwaj, Secretary Kelsey Anderson and Treasurer Henry Jiang along with the student representative council.

“I mean, I didn’t rule [winning] out, I was just really unsure about it,” said Ran. “Everyone that was elected is very reliable and friendly.”

In order to pay for the trips and dances in the future, the freshman class needs to raise money fast. In comparison to the other classes, the freshman class raised very little money this year. David Ran proposes exciting new fundraisers such as Cafe WA or an Open Mic Night or selling mistletoe in December.

“Yeah, I have a whole list…We’re mainly focusing on raising money in fundraisers. If anyone has any ideas, they can come up to me anytime. The student government, after all, is for the students and by the students,” said Ran.

On Facebook, Ran has indeed published an extensive list of fundraising ideas that students are open to comment on.

The reaction from the freshman class has been overall quite positive, many people seem to have high hopes for our future president. Many feel like Ran’s positive attitude and forward thinking are just what our freshman class needs. Academically, Ran also ranks quite high, winning the overall geometry award for the freshman class.

“I’m so excited; I think he’ll be splendid,” said freshman Anna Hartmann.

There are, however, a few doubts from others because of Ran’s lack of experience. He wasn’t a part of the student government during the 2010-2011 school year.

“I think he’ll do a good job. It’s just Allison [Avery] had already done it for a year, I thought she might’ve had more experience,” said Abby Ciancolo, one of the student council representatives.