Westford’s Improv Troupe knows funny

Jared Joyce

WIT, Westford Improv Trope, held their first show in the Black Box Theater room 109 on Friday, November 20. It is a relatively new organization for Westford Academy; this is its fifth season running.The troupe was first directed by Emily Gosslin in the 2005-2006 school year. While WIT is a subset of The Westford Academy Theater Arts ( WATA), it is primarily run by students. This years presidents are juniors Rachel Weinstock and Mark Fingerhut.

The group practices their improv by playing games that exercise the ability to break down social filters. This skill can be practiced and developed. According to Weinstock, anyone can hone improvisational ability.

”There’s a whole physiological thing to it. When you were growing up you learn not to say certain things, and you developed a filter so when you have conversation your not a socially awkward person,” Weinstock explained.

The goal of these exercises is to rid yourself of this social barrier because without it, things are funnier. Funnier is especially important to take into consideration when delivering a good show.

According to Weinstock the exercises improve on the troupe’s ability to think more on their feet and come up with new creative ideas for scenes more quickly.

Made up of eleven students, the troupe meets once a week to practice these skills.

Christie Basinas, a junior, comments on Friday’s audience, saying, “ … the energy going back and forth is always a good thing.”

The audience that filled the blackbox at Fridays performance was kept laughing by the jokes made by the troupe. A big part of improv is audience participation and Friday afternoon’s audience was nothing close to shy.