Sarah Cusson’s accidental award

Jared Joyce

Sarah Cusson, a senior at Westford Academy won superlative for “Most Accident Prone,” and for good reason.

After 12 broken bones, 5 MRIs, and countless other scans it was no surprise to Cusson that she took “Most Accident Prone.”

Since the third grade, Cusson has been injured in some way every school year. So, one should ask, where do these injuries come from? The culprit is gymnastics, and it is a way of life for the 18 year old.

Cusson has been flipping and tumbling around the gym for as long as she could remember. So why stick with gymnastics after suffering so many injuries?

“Gymnastics,” Cusson said, “ has defined me, it has taught me how to be committed and how to follow through and be dedicated. It’s a way of life.”

Dedication is the only word to describe the twenty hours a week she is training in the gym. Practicing in this sport is crucial if one wants to advance. The skills needed to complete a routine are dangerous, so practice and experience is key.

“Gymnastics is a really dangerous sport and it’s going to take a lot to get where you need to go,” said Cusson.

Being injured most of the time, Cusson has had less of an advantage than her peers. But that doesn’t stop her from trying her hardest.

“Having less time to train than everyone else, I do what I need to do. I have to train harder than everyone else to get to their level,” said Cusson.

Training hard has been Cusson’s key to success. Last year Cusson won state championships on an ankle that was broken at the time. Not only did she win states but she also has been recognized as a DCL and a Lowell Sun All Star.

She may have been voted “Most Accident Prone,” but there is no stopping Cusson.