Gagne appointed interim athletic director

Gagne teaches a class

Kai-Jia Yue, Social Media Manager

There are changes going on in WA’s administration: Dean Michael Parent is retiring and Athletic Director Dan Twomey will be taking his place. And instead of seeing Twomey sitting in the first office in the main office, a new face will be there next year, current head football coach Adam Gagne.

Gagne originally applied for the dean’s position, but he was not selected. Principal James Antonelli wanted Gagne to be part of administration and started thinking about different positions that might open up.

Eventually the position of athletic director came to mind, and Gagne was offered the opportunity to try the job out for a year.

“For Mr. Gagne, it was never any interest for him to go to athletic director; in fact, he put his heart and soul into applying for the dean’s position. […] So each one of them [Twomey, Gagne, and Sean O’Leary] did a great job. They applied for the position and I had to choose one,”Antonelli comments, “After choosing Mr. Twomey, I just started to think about that position [athletic director]. It’s a very high profile position too, and it’s about other opportunities I could seize in the school to keep individuals I care about here in the high school.”

Gagne is excited to widen his horizons and get to work with other athletes and coaches, even though he will be giving up his position as head football coach. He hopes to be able to connect and work with other student athletes and groups of students. He also looks forward to attending different types of games and practices outside of just football.

“I’m excited to work with other student athletes other than just the football players,” Gagne said,

“Getting out there to work with the outstanding coaches that we have here at Westford Academy and attend some practices and some sporting events that […] I havn’t been able to attend […] and connecting with the student athletes with other clubs and groups and student body here at WA.”

Gagne sees his position as head football coach and athletic director as similar, since they both deal with being able to connect, organize, and lead, except his new position will be on a larger scale.

“It is similar in ways. It’s all about building relationships, but when you get down to the core of it it’s going to be a larger scale planning, larger scale organizing, larger scale leadership role, and a larger scale evaluation. I think they are all the things I do on a daily basis; it’s just going to be on a wider scale. “

Antonelli admires Gagne’s work as head football coach making tough decisions that helped benefit the team.

Antonelli also acknowledges how Gagne is organized and has many of the characteristics that could help him in his new position.

“I’ve watched him coach. He’s extremely organized, and you have to be as the head football coach. Adam used to coach my son. […] When this position came open, I said this was the kind of guy that can do the right thing no matter what. In the face of a tough decision, he made the tough decision. […] He’s a man of integrity; what other type of a person would you like on a team?” said Antonelli.

Gagne was not previously interested the athletic director position since it was not part of his long-term agenda; however, he is now optimistic about the future. He hopes that as next year goes on he will thrive in the position and that he will continue in the position for years to come.

“The interim tag is something hopefully, you know, after a year goes by, I enjoy the position and Westford Academy enjoys me in the position. I am looking forward to several years as Westford Academy’s athletic director,” said Gagne.