Mannava graduates at the top

Vennela+Mannava+

Vennela Mannava

Ben Walker, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On June 2nd, 2017, senior Vennela Mannava will graduate as the valedictorian for the Class of 2017.

For Mannava, high school has consisted of AP courses, among these include AP Literature, AP Biology, AP Latin, and AP Chemistry. However, Mannava’s time at WA hasn’t just consisted of AP classes. In fact, she was a member of WA’s Latin Club for three years and was also a co-captain on Mock Trial for the past two years.

According to Mannava, one thing that she says that motivated her throughout high school was the way that she chose the classes she wanted to take.

“I always took classes that I actually cared about learning, so then the motivation just happened. [For example] I took two math classes in my freshman year, but only because I knew I wanted to take two math classes,” she said.

As for Mannava’s favorite type of classes, she says that her biggest problem is that she is into all different types of subjects, including math, science, and English.

“I took AP Literature this year because I really like English, but then I also took AP Biology because science is a huge thing. […] I’ve always found it hard to choose what I like best,” Mannava said.

Looking back on her four years at WA, Mannava says that her favorite thing about WA has definitely been the teachers.

“I’ve had a lot of great teachers over the years,” she said.

Some of her favorite teachers include her junior year AP Chemistry teacher and Senior Capstone adviser, Timothy Knittel, as well as her AP Latin teacher, Sarah Bjorkman.

Next fall, Mannava will be attending the University of Chicago. According to Mannava,  the reason she chose to attend the school is because she really liked the curriculum it offered, their extracurriculars, and their affiliated law school.

Eventually, she hopes to be a lawyer and attend law school.

At the University of Chicago, Mannava says that she is thinking about being a chemistry major, and if possible, a classics major as well.

“U-Chicago is on the quarter system so [students] can take more classes, so it’s easier to do a major or a minor,” she said.

Furthermore, Mannava says that she is most looking forward to the independence that college brings about.

Finally, Mannava has some advice for WA students when it comes to taking different classes.

“If you can, take classes you really care about. […] Don’t force yourself to do something because you think you have to,” she said.