Twomey to become new dean

Athletic Director Dan Twomey in his office

Kai-Jia Yue, Social Media Manager

When people see WA’s athletic director, Dan Twomey, in the halls, they talk to him about how their sports teams are doing or the goal they just scored in the last game they played. However, starting in fall 2017, he will become one of the WA’s deans.

Earlier this year, Dean Michael Parent announced that he would be retiring by the end of the 2016-2017 school year. Many interviews were held to find a candidate to fill his spot, but it was ultimately decided that Twomey was the best fit. According to Twomey, he had always wanted to take up a more administrative position.

“Administration at the high school level is something that I always wanted to do and it was a wonderful opportunity for me continue my professional career as administrator and to be involved with students in different ways,” Twomey said.

When applying for the dean position, there were three main candidates. Health and physical education curriculum coordinator Sean O’Leary, football head coach Adam Gagne, and athletic director Dan Twomey. Principal James Antonelli was hoping to find someone who had a similar skill set to Mr. Parent and who had experience conversing with students.

“It was a very difficult decision to make there were three strong candidates […] We were look for someone who had similar skills to Mr. Parent[…],”said Antonelli, “It was a process. It came down to selecting Mr. Twomey as the dean of students and we thought it was a good fit he’s been here, he has been tested, he’s been tried […] He’s passionate about working with students. He wants to make a change not just focused on athletics.”

Twomey hopes to help students with his problem-solving skills, and he wants to nurture students in a way where they will grow and develop as people. Ironically, Twomey was also a math teacher for the first few years at WA.

“I think I have some big shoes to fill with Mr. Parent leaving. First of all, he was a great dean. I think that I really offer a positive attitude and problem solver. [I am] someone who is a really student centered administrator and cares a lot about seeing the students succeed in a lot of different ways,” Twomey said.

Although Parent was not part of the replacement committee, he still has an understanding of his colleagues’ character and abilities. Parent holds great admiration for Twomey’s work with teenagers and believes he will find success and enjoyment in his position as dean.

“He loves kids […] obviously a prerequisite for this job. He loves working with young adults and he loves seeing kids make gains from their freshman sophomore year to graduation. He also loves the classroom setting he was a former teacher himself years ago.” Parent comments, “I think this is the interaction the day to day interaction with the kids. Getting into the classroom getting to see classess i think he’s really going to enjoy doing that […] he’s super organized having to take over and schedule the whole school and that will be something he will do a good job.”

Though his new position will be different from his old one, Twomey understands the differences. He will still be helping students, just in another way.

“It will be a different kind of topic. Instead of it being all sports related, it will be a wide variety of things that I can help them succeed in. Hopefully I can help them learn and be the best students that they could be,” Twomey said.

He looks forward to the new year working as a dean.

“I’m excited and looking forward to the new opportunities here,” Twomey said.