Student speaks out on queer issues

Freshman Luna Lorette

Freshman Luna Lorette

Freshman Luna Lorette

Kavya Desikan, Staff Writer

Freshman Luna Lorette is a transgender non-binary girl at Westford Academy, but unlike most people in the queer community here at WA, she has some less-popular opinions on the queer community. These opinions are not just about queer communities here at WA, but in mainstream culture as a whole, especially ‘white gay culture’.

“Basically, because mainstream media has raised their diversity quota just slightly to start showing white gay men in monogamous relationships, and you see this as they’ve become more prevalent in TV and other forms of multimedia entertainment. You see it every now and then, a special promotion with a queer people basically get shelled out for money,” Lorette said.

According to Lorette, there are legitimate facts to back her claims up, because as queer representation grows in different mediums of entertainment, there has also been a rise in queer baiting. Queer baiting creates homoerotic tension between two characters that will never get together. Another difference between queer characters and others is that most queer characters (except white gay characters), unlike their cisgender heterosexual counterparts, are given dark and brooding backstories that almost inevitably lead to their death.

Lorette believes that with this new normalization of white gay men and not really anyone else, you see every other subcommunity of the queer community getting left in the dust as white gay men get to live the average everyday life that many queer people may never get to lead. This predictably leads to inter-community conflicts, and the most noticeable one being the anti-trans movements within the LGBT+ community.

Movements like ‘drop the T’ and the rise in Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists (TERFs as they call themselves) show that different sub-communities are attempting to push blame from one sub community to another instead of uniting as a whole to achieve the true beginnings of equality.

“TERFs are cis women, normally lesbians, who kind of use this really weird non-exclusionary feminism to victimize themselves and play themselves as more of a victims as like, lets say a black trans woman,” Lorette said. “They kind of blame trans women and only trans women for their problems instead of taking accountability and trying to fix it.”

However, despite Lorette’s general dislike for white gay culture and the way white gays still play themselves out as “a victimized marginalized minority even though they’ve come the farthest on the path to equality compared to other queer people” she does acknowledge something many refused to recognize.

“As much as I hate white gay culture and their professional victimization, I completely understand that in order for my community and others to reach their desired level of acceptance in society, that we all need to unify instead of jumping ship [abandoning the queer community] to hate on others still underrepresented in mainstream culture,” Lorette said.