Boy’s Varsity Tennis Wins First Game Against Chelmsford

Conor Bellone

Freshmen Oliver Davey making an excellent hit around his back.

Westford Academy Boys’ Varsity Tennis came roaring out of the start gate with a crushing victory over the Chelmsford Lions, beating them at each of the three individual matches and both of the doubles matches.

Lead by coaches Peter Paltsios and Andrew Norander, the team has made a great first impression with their victory. Before the match kicked off, Paltsios put in a few comments about  the team’s players and how they’ve prepped.

When asked about how much the team has been preparing for their first match, Coach Paltsios responded with a smile.

“Well this only our second time outdoors, so not a lot.”

But this lack of practice does not seem to have hurt the WA team. Chelmsford’s coach had quite a different answer for their amount of prepping:

“We’ve been practicing a lot indoors for the past two of weeks or so. Just working on technique and basics.”

Coach Paltsios also shared his new hope with the Varsity team’s freshmen:

We have some really good underclassmen. That’s one thing that’s pretty good for us this year.”

Paltsios cited freshman Oliver Davey as an up and coming tennis player.

On the court, Davey proved to be worth it, beating each of his sets against Chelmsford student Sam Segal 6-0 and 6-1. It was evident that Davey was working hard on the court, and his hard work payed off, including several impressive hits, some coming as his back was turned to his opponent.

However, of all the matches one struck the eye of the observer: WA’s own Sandip Manna squared off against Chelmsford’s Ethan Hirsch. These two players talents could be easily seen by their precision and athleticism. Though Hirsh’ talents were impressive, Manna defeated him in both sets; 6-1 and 6-1.

For doubles, Westford’s Matt Vlch and Eric Han put up a strong game against Chelmsford’s Andre Danahy and Anish Shah, winning their sets with an impressive lead of 6-0 and 6-1.

The team’s next match will be against Waltham High school, at the Robinson school at 4:00 on April 5th.