Girls emerge as DCL champs from Weston

Natasha Singh, Print Manager

On January 19, the Westford Academy Girls’ and Boys’ Swim teams swam their final meet against Weston. The girls totaled 98 to Weston’s 88 points, leading the girls to be undefeated for the past two years. However, the boys lost to Weston, 98 to 88.

Both of Weston’s girls and boys teams remained undefeated throughout their season, as had WA’s teams. Girls’ Coach Caitlin Klick described Weston as their “toughest competitor”

The meet began with a promising start as they gained 2nd and 4th position in the 200 medley relay. The boys began in the lead with relay team junior Sean Riordan, freshman Bryce Fan, senior Jason Jung, and junior Justin Huang coming in first place.

The girls took first place in the 200 yard freestyle, 200 IM, 100 yard freestyle, 200 freestyle relay, 100 yard backstyle, and 400 freestyle relay.

Despite the girls’ win, the competition was not far off from their times.

The boys held a record for being undefeated for the past four years earlier this season, however, that title was tarnished by Boston Latin in December. They came in neck and neck against Weston, but ultimately lost by a total of ten points.

The defeat became imminent after the 200 yard freestyle relay, where Weston took all three winning positions.

However, the boys put a fight until the very end. Riordan ran and cheered all across the pool deck to support every team member on the block.

Jung leapt into final event, the 400 freestyle relay, once sophomore Owen Schwab touched the wall. The relay seemed like a lost cause, as Weston was ahead by almost seven feet. Yet Jung’s motor-like arms sped him an entire body length away from the Weston swimmer’s head, leading to Westford Academy’s final victory of the meet.

Despite Weston giving the boys’ their second loss of the season, the girls’ team left the building knowing they took down their toughest competitor with ease.

“At the end of the day, the girls are still [DCL] champs,” Klick said.