WA Boys’ Varsity Volleyball wins North Championship tournament

Anthony Cammalleri

WA Boys’ Varsity Volleyball team holding their trophy after winning the North Division One Championships.

Anthony Cammalleri, Staff Writer

WA Boys’ Varsity Volleyball beat the Chelmsford High Lions last night, Friday, June 7th in the Division One North Championship Tournament match at Tewksbury Memorial High School after the fourth game. This was not only the first Volleyball North title, but also surprised many Grey Ghost fans who expected the night to be the finale of WA’s long losing streak playing against the Lions. In fact, even Coach Russ Coward acknowledged the fact that WA has not been able to defeat Chelmsford all season.

“I’m a little nervous obviously, this is really exciting. Chelmsford is very good, so we’ll see what happens,” Coward said minutes before the match.

In the moments preceding this match, a considerably odd music combination blasted throughout the Tewksbury Memorial High gymnasium, consisting of consecutive forty-five-second clips from anything from 1930’s folk, to Justin Beiber. Two large crowds assembled on the same side of the gym, both comprising eccentric fans wearing diver apparel, cowboy hats, and even tiger costumes in support for their team.

Finally, before the buzzer, MIAA (Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletics Association) officials gave a stern warning that negative, rude, or insulting chants would not be acceptable. Meanwhile, a Lion’s fan wearing a white “Westford i

s Bad” t-shirt moved behind his fellow fans in the Chelmsford Crowd.

At the start of the first game, the two teams were neck and neck, seeming to take turns scoring at the same rate, and remaining tied or almost tied up for a long duration of the game. A combination of set errors on behalf of the Lions, as well as extensive blocking by seniors such as Brendan Tierney, managed to hit back any ball that would come his way. By the end of the game, WA won by three points, finishing 25-23.

During the second game it was the performance of senior Ismael Ralsten that was the driving force as he continued to return fast serves and spikes, constantly hitting the ball over the net. By the end of the second game, Grey Ghost fans were cheering with a loud, boisterous energy before the sounding of the buzzer which triggered an emotional outburst as well as WA’s second win of the night at 25-18.

In the first half of the third game, the Grey Ghosts were able to stay tied with Chelmsford, holding them off with blocks from Ralsten and Tierney; however, as faster and faster sets were being hit by the Lions, WA’s ability to block appeared to have worn off, allowing Chelmsford victory during the third game, 25-20. Although at this time, Westford crowds had a regained confidence that the Grey Ghosts could and would win this match, the third game acted as a temporary let down for WA fans, and conversely, motivation to keep cheering louder, for Lion’s fans. 

Almost flawless blocks and strikes were executed by the Grey Ghosts during the final game of the match. If the ball was spiked or hit back, the Grey Ghost’s blocking was strong and reliable. Meanwhile, chanting and screaming from Grey Ghosts fans by the end of the game could have been heard miles away, as some loudly exclaimed “Finish them!” in the midst of loud yelling and clapping. Finally, after an out-of-bounds delivery from the Lions, WA won. Players pounced on one another in the middle of the court displaying the utmost excitement and pride for a game well played. Meanwhile, WA fans moved onto the court to congratulate the team and display their passion and energy for the entire gymnasium through screams, and jump hugs.

“I think the more we’ve gone on in the tournament, the more confident we’ve been, the more aggressive we’ve been. I think you can see that when we’re attacking the ball, we’re pretty rough, we get above the net pretty well. Chelmsford did a pretty nice job at moving us around and pushing us a little further than we wanted them to, especially when they started passing,” Coward said.

The boys will be playing against Framingham Friday, May 10th in the state semi-finals at Wellesley High School at 4:30pm.