Spanish Club’s Hope for Peace

The winning design

Hannah McGrath and Mel Almasian

The idea for a fundraiser by the Spanish club was sparked in early April and is now underway.  The winning design by Piero Rooz from Colombia that is displayed on T- shirts, mugs and stickers are for sale on http://www.zazzle.com/ilustradores and will be sold throughout the school and to the general public on May 23.

The t-shirt will be displayed at WA and the middle schools during lunch periods and can be ordered online. Students who are interested in the bumper stickers will be able to purchase them at lunch.

The winning design is a dove holding a peace sign in its beak and other birds flying with it.  The design has many bright fun colors to help bring the artwork to life.

The AP/ honors Spanish students chose this design to represent “hope for peace”.  The overall goal for this fundraiser is to raise money and awareness for a school in Ostumán, Copán Ruinas, Honduras (Central America).  The Spanish department celebrated runners-up who received trophies.

Multiple pieces of art displaying hope for peace were presented to the Westford Academy Spanish club and AP/5H classes, but only one was picked to represent their fundraiser.

The theme was picked by the Spanish club and AP and honors 5 students, as they felt that artists have creative insights when expressing such a topic. The students are currently focusing on “Beauty and Esthetics” which inspired this contest.

Once the items are sold, all money raised will be evenly split in two ways. Half of the money will be given to a school in Copas Ruinas in Honduras. This school was picked to have donations given to them since the Westford Rotary Club has a relationship with them already. The rest of the money will be given to a social justice related organization Colombia.

“Our goal is to raise $1000 that will evenly be split between the school in Copas Ruinas Honduras, and the cause chosen by the winning artist,” said Spanish teacher and Spanish club advisor, Jen Ganley who is heavily involved in this fundraiser and contest.

Ganley is friends with Franz Israel who created the website illustra.org and is helping with this contest and fundraiser.

“In talking with him [Israel], we figured that this contest would be a great opportunity for WA’s AP/5H students to have first hand experience with the powerful impact that social media can have,” Ganley said.

Ganley hopes this fundraiser will become a tradition at WA.

“Our hopes are to raise money for these great causes, recognize artists, and incite social awareness,” Ganley said.