WA Boys’ Varsity Basketball loses to Acton-Boxborough

Anthony Cammalleri, Staff Writer

The Westford Academy Boys’ Varsity Basketball team lost to the Acton-Boxborough Colonials 62-51 Friday, February 11th at Acton-Boxborough High School. This defeat acts as a buffer, but not a complete roadblock on the Grey Ghosts’ journey to playoffs, considering the boys’ Varsity team is still only one win away from making the cut.

Nonetheless, a loss against Acton-Boxborough was demoralizing to the Grey Ghosts, especially after Tuesday’s 70-47 win against Lincoln Sudbury, and last Sunday’s victory over Somerville, scoring 68-57. Players and fans were hopeful at the start of the game, feeling strong and confident.

“I’m very excited, we played a very good game against them the first time, so hopefully we can beat them tonight and clinch for the playoffs” said senior captain Scotty Callahan before the game.

“I definitely think we have what it takes. We have been playing great lately, and hopefully it carries over into this game,” added Callahan.

Head coach Christopher Bramanti was also confident in the hours before the game,

“I’m excited, a little nervous, but excited. If we play like we have been, I think we have a great shot, we’ve been playing pretty well,” said Bramanti.

A small crowd of WA fans, who were beaming with excitement and pride before the game, sat in a quiet state of uneasiness after the end of the first quarter, when WA was losing 11-9.

This uneasiness turned into desolation after the end of the second quarter when the Ghosts trailed by eleven points, with a score of 33-23 in favor of AB. By half-time, senior captain Pat Coffey and junior Jon Glidden performed at the highest caliber, with Coffey scored three two-point shots within the first quarter, and later delivered another one in the second quarter. Glidden, making the first three-pointer of the game in the second quarter, later following up with a two-point shot.

Acton-Boxborough fans jeered at Westford Academy players and fans throughout the game. As senior captain Nicholas Fiorillo went up to take a foul shot in the second quarter, Colonials fans made loud, high-pitched bird noises in an attempt to distract him.

Even at half time, during a three-point shot contest, loud boos roared from the bleachers as a Grey Ghosts fan went up to participate.

The third quarter was a dark period for Westford. The Colonials took an 18-point lead, ending with a 49-31 score as the Acton-Boxborough half of the gymnasium grew louder with cheers and boos, and the Westford Academy half remained more-or-less silent.

In the last quarter, although there was not enough time remaining for a complete turn-around, the Grey Ghosts continued to play aggressively. Glidden made another three-point shot to revitalize cheering on the Westford side, and senior Jason Hughes, who had not scored yet in the game, made two two-point shots, as well as one three-point shot.

In the last 45 seconds of the game, The Colonials simply stalled by passing the ball back and forth, while WA players still refused to quit, struggling for possession of the ball, until the ringing of the buzzer signified their defeat.

“Acton played well, [it was] their Senior Night, they wanted to see it, they wanted to do it, they wanted to win it, and they didn’t want to give us a chance to get in the tournament on their court, so it was a big win for them,” said Bramanti, respecting the victors for their performance.