A price tag should not define your prom experience

Hannah McGrath, Staff Writer

The perfect prom dress can make your prom night even more special, but do you really need to pay over $500 to find that perfect dress?

When most girls search for their ideal dress, they are initially drawn in by the beauty of the most extravagant dresses without even looking at the price tag. There is a huge variety of dresses out there and it is easy to fall in love with an overly expensive dress.

Prom dresses have prices that sometimes seem over the top for a dress that is only going to be worn once. Prom is a special night for girls to feel like a princess in the dress of their choice, but is it truly necessary to pay hundreds of dollars?

Prom dresses are a major part of prom as they are a main focus for the night for many girls. Many start purchasing their dresses in the middle of the winter to get a first look and make sure no one else buys the dress they want.

When looking for a dress girls are searching for the perfect dress; when they try it on they just know it is the one they want to wear. After finding the perfect dress, they will typically look for the price, which can either make or break the dress.

The price will either be somewhat reasonable and affordable for the girl and her family, or be way out of budget or completely unreasonable. 

I agree that a student’s prom dress should make them feel beautiful and good about themselves. However, I believe that the price should be part of the decision, as money may be a major factor in buying a dress.

Many prom dresses are way overpriced and the price is usually not worth paying for a dress that you will wear for just one night.

People should not have to empty their bank accounts to buy a dress for one night nor should they have to wear the most expensive dress in the store to look the best or feel beautiful. 

On the magical night in May, when all the girls line up for pictures, their dresses are not defined by their prices. On prom night, no one will judge the dresses by how much they cost, but rather how they look on the person wearing them. No one looks at the dresses and thinks of the prices, they just look at the beautiful girls, smiling in their dresses.

Prom dress prices are overrated and no one needs to overspend on the dress that they wear once in their life, because no one needs to spend too much to feel beautiful.