Girls’ Basketball defeats Waltham 53-33

Alisha Sabnis, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, December 22, WA Girls’ Basketball defeated Waltham with a score of 53-33. With the Ghosts leading throughout the whole game, the audience was lively and filled with voice.

With an enthusiastic and supportive crowd cheering on the girls, the first quarter started off strong for the Ghosts, leading with a score of 23-12. By the end of the period the Ghosts had made a tremendous amount of points resulting with them leading 31-15.

Freshman Brooke Pillsbury played well offense, making a few 2-pointers. By halftime, the score was 31-15 with the Ghosts leading.

The third period started off slow, with both teams trying to make shots. The period mostly consisted of points that were accumulated through foul shots made by sophomore Emily Bramanti, junior Amanda Smith, and Pillsbury. The quarter ended with a score of 44-25.

Waltham was inching closer to the Ghosts during the final quarter but were not able to surpass them. By the middle of the period, Waltham had brought their score up to 30 with WA at 46. As the game went on, the Ghosts were determined to win which resulted in the end, a score of 53-33.

Although WA did win, not everyone was satisfied by their game.

“We made too many mistakes. Our offense could use work but our defense was good, ” said Coach Coward.

The team was also aware of their strengths and weaknesses during the game and looks forward to practice and future games to fix them.

“I think we did well overall but [we] could use more work on our defense,” said senior co-captain, Madeline Russell.

The next home game will be on January 5th against Newton South High school.