Young Frankenstein hits the stage Friday

The WATA poster promoting the upcoming play.

Andrew Friel, Managing Editor

WATA’s production of the musical “Young Frankenstein” begins this Friday, November 13th at 7:30 pm. The show, adopted from the Mel Brooks book and music, is being directed by Dr. Luke Jorgensen with student assistant director Catherine Crimmins, choreographed by Larry Sousa with student assistant Olivia Overington, stage managed by Misha Stapp, and the production manger is Hannah Fitch.

The other 7:30pm shows will be held on November 14th, 19th, 20th, 21st, and 24th, with two 2:00pm matinees held on November 15th and 22nd. The evening shows will cost $18 for adults and $12 for students. For the matinee shows, both student and adult tickets are $12. Student night on the 19th will be $5 student tickets. All tickets can be purchased at the box office or online from the theater page on the WA website.

The play’s plot centers around Fredrick Frankenstein, a doctor in New York and Frankenstein’s grandson, receives word that his grandfather has died. He must return to Transylvania to claim the estate left behind. However, his assistant Igor suggests that he create another monster like Frankenstein. Upon this creation, chaos ensues in a nearby village and angers the residents.

In regards to the cast, Fredrick Frankenstein will be played by Matt Gagnon, Elizabeth Benning played by Caroline Lawlor, Inga played by Claire Shea, Igor by Marco Liguori, Frau Blucher by Keely Craig, Kemp by Kai Jorgenson, Hermit by Kevin Biciunas, Ziggy by Jack Laushine, Victor Von Frankenstein by Ryan Dunn, the telegraph girl by Morgan Shea, and the mayor by Matt Mantanuto.

The casting process was run by Jorgenson, Scott Cruikshank, Fitch, and Stapp. Fitch stated that they were looking for actors and actresses who could play the non traditional roles of monsters, as well as those with high energy to be able to convey these parts correctly. According to Matt Gagnon, they generally try to look to the acting of those who auditioning rather than the singing, however both are important to be cast in a WATA musical.

According to some members of the cast and crew, this show is a funny show consisting of show tunes and other big band music with a 30s and 40s feel to it. The dancing of the play is generally large group dances that are considered sometimes chaotic, but in a fun and entertaining manner.

This play has a special meaning to the seniors of the cast and crew especially because of the nature of the show in relation to the past work they’ve been in at WA.

“Its sort of a show for our class because for the past many years, we’ve done serious shows […] and this is a funny show. Its very different from anything we’ve done before,” said Gagnon.

This show is also special because of growth of all the actors is evident in the roles they are filling and the positions they are holding within the production.

“The cast is just amazing to work with. You can see everybody achieve what they’ve worked so hard for and its so wonderful seeing everything be put together,” said Caroline Lawlor

The group of cast and crew also noted how this represents how this is a capstone for them in their WATA career and how proud they are of their achievements throughout that career.

In regards to encouraging students to go, they say the type of humor would be the best to be enjoyed with a group of friends rather than family. The off color humor can take a while to understand at first, but students will enjoy its dry nature despite the speed of understanding it.

“We worked incredibly hard for this production. We put endless hours into this production. […] Its so worth it,” said Gagnon.

WATA’s next production will be “Proof” in January.