Football clinches DCL title

The Ghosts celebrate their victory.

Nick Stanglewicz, Staff Writer

If you only saw the box score for the game, you might’ve though the Ghosts won a close one to secure their first DCL title since 2009. However,  after they quickly marched down to the endzone early in the third quarter, the game got a bit closer.

The Ghosts eventually won the game 45-34, and the coffin was sealed shut after junior captain quarterback Connor Degenhardt threw his third touchdown of the night to senior Kevin Enos to increase the Ghosts’ lead to 38-8. The Ghosts’ lead then slowly dwindled as the the fourth quarter passed on, as the starters for the Cambridge Rindge & Latin Falcons remained in the game against the Ghosts’ backups.

The game didn’t finish exactly the way the Ghosts’ wanted to, nor did it end the way it had started. After the Ghosts pulled off a clever onside kick, their first offensive play resulted in a fumble, and a costly injury to junior running back Ben Antes, who was already filling in for sick senior captain running back Ben Cassidy. The injury to Antes, who was playing both sides in the game, cause a frantic shift in players that thrust sophomore running back Trevor Faretra into the spotlight.

“Going into the game I knew we were already down our starting running back,” Faretra recalled, “so I was ready to step up if anyone else got hurt.”

Faretra ran for almost 100 yards and a touchdown on the night, along with senior Tyler Silton who also had the final touchdown for the Ghosts on the night. On the defensive side of the ball, senior captain Nick Fiorillo took the spot held by Antes, and adjusted right away.

“The whole year we’ve had a next man up mentality and when Antes went down, I knew I needed to step up. I did what was neccesary for the team to succeed,” Fiorillo said.

Fiorillo also contributed a rushing and receiving touchdown on the night, bringing his regular season total to 7. Additionally, although Fiorillo is happy about claiming the title, he knows that the team still has more work to do.

“The DCL championship feels great,” Fiorillo said, “but we know we have a greater mission ahead of us,” he added.

Head coach Gagne preached a similar sermon as he congratulated the team on a title but remarked, “this is only the beginning.”

The 2015-2016 DCL champion Grey Ghosts enter the playoffs at an undefeated 6-0. The game will be determined at a later date, but there is no doubt the Ghosts are flashing a scary good team right now and will surely pose as a threat when the playoffs kick off next week.