Crew Team Takes Things to the Next Level

Michael Tricca, Staff Writer

The team going to nationals
The team going to nationals

Today, the Westford-Littleton High School Crew Team will be heading off to Sarasota, Florida to compete in a national rowing competition. This is the first time ever that a boat from the team has made it to nationals.

“[The Nathan Benderson Park] is one of the best [facilities] in the country. We’re pretty excited to go down there,” said David Cormier, the coach of the varsity crew team. Cormier coached at UMASS Lowell for a period of time, but returned to the Westford-Littleton team this year.

“[Cormier] has really dedicated a lot of time to our boat to make sure we’ll be as good as we can be,” said sophomore Emma Wood.

Along with Wood, the rowers attending will be junior Shannon Forty, and recent graduates Jess Pazienza, Michela Wood, and Katie Stokes.

Only the top three boats in regionals are allowed into nationals. Their boat was in the top two.

“It’s been really amazing to get the opportunity to row with people who are really willing to put everything on the line to crew,” said Forty.

The competition itself begins Friday; heats will be held on that day, followed by semifinals on Saturday, and then finals on Sunday.

The team is taking full advantage of the time they have remaining to prepare at Forge Beach.

“We’re taking care of business here, making sure they’re picking up speed every day,” said Cormier.

The team doesn’t know what their opponents are like going into the competition, but they are confident in their abilities, as the northeast is a very difficult district to qualify in.

The group’s strong suite is their unity, among other such attributes. “Hard work and dedication. It may sound cliche, but it’s really brought us together, more so than any other boat I’ve been in,” said Forty.

The crew team as a whole has had an excellent year. Along with going to nationals, they snagged five medals at the Massachussetts Public State School Championships.

The team includes about sixty-five members this year; Cormier hopes this number will increase to around eighty next year.

Cormeir said, “This is a pretty pivotal point for the program […] we’ve shown it can be done.”

Tryouts for the crew team begin the first week of school this fall. Cormier is alert for a particular brand of crewmate.

“We’re looking for fit and tough people who want to try something new, and who want to win.”