Live every day to the fullest

By Lauren Cullen
    Editor-in-Chief

I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to volunteer at an assisted living facility with residents who have memory loss issues as my internship. Although it was sad to see the residents not remember certain things, it also just reinforced how much I have taken for granted so far in my life.

One of my favorite residents told me almost every day to never let myself get old, because she said then I would turn into an old lady like her. Every time she told me that, we both would laugh and then she would advise me to enjoy everything I have while I can. Maybe because she told me every day, or maybe because it really is good advice, I plan to do just that.

I realized that at certain points during my years at WA I did not enjoy everything to the fullest. Looking back, I wish that I knew no matter what the situation was, I should have enjoyed it all, because at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what you have, it matters most what you do with what you have. I wish I would’ve been happy with that one shirt I bought instead of worrying about buying another one. I. wish I made the most of the boring movie nights I had with one friend before we lost touch, which, looking back on, were actually pretty fun.

Screen Shot 2015-06-03 at 11.44.32 AMGoing forward, I am going to make the most out of every situation, every friendship, and every challenge. As cheesy as it sounds, I really believe this, especially after talking to the residents at my internship who stressed nothing but this.

I hope you all live your lives to their fullest, because in ten years, what will be more fun to look back on, times you just went through the motions with, or times that you enjoyed the heck out of?

So please, class of 2015, remember to enjoy everything you have, to take nothing for granted, and to not let yourself get old.