The Sort-of-breakable Kimmy Schmidt

By Alok Ganguly

Friday March 6 marked the release of Netflix’s new original production, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and while the show has many strong characters and good dialogue, it misses the mark of perfection that has come to be expected from other Netflix originals like House of Cards or Orange is the New Black.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is a goofy comedy, unlike the other more dramatic Netflix Originals, and follows the adventure of Kimmy Schmidt, played by Ellie Kemper, as she learns to adapt to modern life. Schmidt and three other women were held in an Indiana bunker for 15 years preparing for the Rapture that never occurred.

After being freed from the bunker, Schmidt moves to New York City to make a name for herself, and meets a wide variety of friends, ranging from her gay roommate Titus Andromedon, played by Tituss Burgess, to her rich and hysterical employer Jacqueline Voorhees, played by Jane Krakowski.

All of the characters in the show are amazingly well played and fit their role well. Each character is a walking stereotype of modern day life, one obsessed with appearing rich and powerful, another teenager focused with fitting in with her friends, and a rich friend who needs to become accustomed to not getting everything he wants.

Each of these sterotypical modern people have a flaw, and Kimmy ends up providing her advice to each and every one to help them fix that flaw about themselves. That formula becomes a little boring over the course of the season, but that doesn’t change the fact that the supporting cast has the best dialogue in the show, especially Titus.

Kimmy however, is a more predictable character. Her story becomes very clichéd throughout the season, and she essentially spends all of her time fixing everyone else’s problems and providing insightful advice that fails to resonate with the audience of the show.

The comedy in the show is hit and miss as well. Fans of 30 Rock will enjoy the same style of humor, since Tina Fey is responsible for creating both shows. Some of the jokes are edgy, providing a bit of social commentary that makes audience members think, but detracts from the lines as a whole.

Overall, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is something that everyone who is a fan of goofy comedies should try out. The acting is excellent all around, and while the story is short, predictable, and sets up for another season, the show is still 6.5 hours of good fun and outrageous outfits.

3.5/5