New Teacher Feature: Lauren Coffey

By Alexa Jelley

Lauren Coffey is teaching her first year here at Westford Academy. During the first semester, she teaches two sections of sports nutrition, and next semester she will teach two sections of 9th grade health.

Coffey attended Worcester Polytechnic Institute where she majored in computer science.

After college, Coffey worked at Hewlett-Packard Medical for nine years. During her time at HP Medical, she worked in the engineering, marketing, and sales departments.

After working at HP, Coffey spent time teaching science at the Discovery Museum in Acton, MA to grade school students.

Coffey took time off when her children, son Patrick, who is in 6th grade, and daughter Kate, who is in 4th grade, were born.

A few years after her kids were born, Coffey decided to go back to work. She became licensed in Physical Education and Health. She was a substitute teacher all last year, and taught health at the end of the year to 6th, 7th, and 8th graders at Stony Brook Middle School.

“I’m very fortunate to have a part time schedule that allows me to get my children on the bus in the morning and be there when they get home. It also satisfied my passion for teaching health and wellness in general. Right now it is a perfect balance,” Coffey said. “I feel fortunate, my students are wonderful, and making my first year here enjoyable. I’m happy to be part of the WA community.”

Besides having a passion for teaching, Coffey teaches skiing in the winter at Nashoba Valley Ski Area. She likes walking her two Golden Retrievers, Gryffindor and Hermoine, and she likes to go biking and kayaking.

Coffey’s favorite band is the B-52s. Her favorite movie is Holiday Inn. On her bucket list, Coffey said that she would want to see the Great Wall of China. She also wants to visit Alaska, Hawaii, and North Dakota, because those are the only three states she has not been to.