Cupid’s Cherry Pie

By Elizabeth Gillis Staff Writer There is no better way of saying “I love you” this Valentines Day then making something homemade. One way to show love on this special holiday could be making this delectable sweet treat. This recipe is quick, easy, and spreads the love to anyone who wants a bite. Instead of going out to buy a Valentine’s Day dessert, change it up a bit this year by making this yummy confection.

• 1 package (18 ounces) of refrigerated sugar cookie dough
  • 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese
  • 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar (aka powdered sugar)
  • 1 (21 ounce) can of cherry pie filling ( pie filling is based on personal preference)
  • 1 (8 ounce) container of thawed frozen whipped topping ( whipped cream can be used as a substitute)

First, take the cookie dough, and roll it out so the dough is about 1/4 of an inch thick (this will act as the crust). Once this is done, take your now flat cookie dough sheet, and place it onto the cookie sheet tin (I used a heart shaped tin in honor of Valentines Day). Now preheat the oven to 350⁰ F, and when the oven is ready, place the cookie sheet into the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the edges of the cookie are lightly browned. After the cookie sheet has been baked, get a mixing bowl, and mix one cup of the confectioner’s sugar with the eight ounces of cream cheese. You want to mix the ingredients after the cookie crust has been baked so it will have time to cool. Once you feel that the sugar and cream cheese have been well blended together, spread the mixture evenly onto the sugar cookie so that the entire cookie crust has been covered. Next, you can take the cherry pie filling and layer it over the cream cheese and sugar mixture. You can continue covering the cookie crust until the entire crust is covered in the cherry pie filling. Now it’s time to add the finishing touches. In this case it would be the whipped cream. You can take the whipped cream can and just go around the edge of the crust, or just spray where you feel would be appropriate. Lastly, enjoy! Yields 9 Servings