What to do When You’re Single On Valentine’s Day

By Haley Verre

Valentine’s Day, whether you love it or hate, is an inevitable part of the year. This is a Hallmark holiday dreaded and beloved by both couples and single people alike. Even if you don’t have a boo/bae/sweetheart, you can still enjoy February 14th. Here are some ideas:

1. Buy Yourself Some Chocolate

This is probably the best thing you can do if you’re single. It’s a win-win situation. You don’t have to worry about buying anything for someone else but you still get to treat yourself. Bonus points if you buy the candy on-sale the next day.

2. Go to the Movies

Movie dates are so overrated. If you actually want to watch a movie without someone complaining and stealing your popcorn, check out some of the films out right now. Check out American Sniper, Taken 3, The Imitation Game, or The Theory of Everything. Lucky for Westford Academy students, the AMC theater in Tyngsboro is close by and has super comfortable seats. Reserve tickets here: https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-theatres/amc-tyngsboro-12

imgres

3. Have a Girls’/Guys’ Night Out

Get together with your  single friends and have a night out on the town! It’s nice to know that you’re not the only one without a significant other. Check out a new restaurant, like the ones reviewed here, or stay inside playing board games and watching movies. With no expectations or worries, you’ll probably have a better time anyways.

4. Cuddle With Your Pet and Read a Good Book

If you’re tired and don’t feel like going anywhere, the best option might be to stay at home and relax.Pick up a good book like Eleanor and Park, Fangirl, The Notebook, or A Game of Thrones. A good book  pales in comparison to the ultimate cure for the Valentines Blues: your favorite animal. Studies have shown that being around your cats and dogs lowers cortisol levels in the body and releases endorphins, which allows you to feel calmer and happier. Also, how could you find a more loyal and loving companion? Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 12.49.56 PM

5. Throw an Anti-Valentine’s Day Party

The great thing about this is that you can invite both your single and couple friends. Not everyone in a relationship is especially excited about Valentine’s Day, especially when it comes to figuring out what to buy and feeling obligated to be happy just because they are not single. This is a holiday that is equally as fun to hate as it is to love. Decorate with traditional Valentine colors like red and pink or show off your spirit with some black streamers and balloons.

6. Make Cards and Cookies for Your Loved Ones

You can still celebrate love by showing your friends and family how much you care about them. Buy or make (time-permitting) Valentines cards and heart-shaped cookies. This is a perfect opportunity to display affection towards the people that matter in your life, beyond any significant others.

Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 12.46.08 PM

7. Buy This Mug

Because, why not? You are fabulous and the world should know.

41huhs8Y4ZL._AA160_
Click this picture to purchase!