Two gymnasts, two styles

By Kayla Chavier

With a record of 16-1, the WA gymnastics team has led an almost undefeated season under the unwavering guidance and devotion of co-captains and seniors, Jackie Beals and Sydney Pouliopoulos.   Their different competing styles and leadership techniques keep the team above the bar.

“It was crazy [to be undefeated…]. Everyone’s doing so good, we’re killing it this year,” said Pouliopoulos.

Since the fifth grade, gymnastics has shaped Pouliopolous’s recreational life and high school career.  After attending Wilkey’s Gymnastics team program for the past eight years, she has been preparing for her responsibilities as captain of the high school team and has found being captain to be a rewarding experience.

“It’s been fun, it’s a little stressful sometimes, but it’s fun. Me and Jackie like it and I think we work well together too,” said Pouliopoulos.

Beals attended a combination of gyms, including Walkers, Nashoba, and All Star, which have all added up to a successful career.  Upon her transfer to WA sophomore year, Beals was immediately interested in joining the gymnastics team.

“I love how the high school team is more of a team sport than the other gyms I’ve been to. […] The team showed me what it is like to come together as a team and it helped me meet and get close to more people from WA,” said Beals.

Although Beals does not intend to pursue gymnastics during college, her leadership has left a lasting effect on her teammates.

“What I call her is silent but deadly.  She doesn’t really talk but she comes in clutch moments to help us win. I love her so much. She is super funny and makes everyone laugh a lot.  She is a great captain for the team and always gives positive feedback no matter if you fall on your head,” said teammate Kiana Brown.

11005679_1420699088228913_2008573220_n
Beals in a layout-full dismount on bars.

Beals and Pouliopolous are two gymnasts with very different personalities, but they both utilize their strengths to maintain a welcoming environment, help the team to score high, and to keep a positive attitude at meets.

“Sydney is the complete opposite of Jackie.  She is very loud and outgoing and loves to help everyone when they need it.  She always cheers for other teams [and] pumps us up with her music. She is a great role model for the team [and] is an amazing captain as well because of her loud and friendly attitude.  I love both of them and I know the team will miss them,” said Brown.

Until a meet with Newton-South on January 21st, the team was undefeated.   Although the team unfortunately broke this streak, losing 139.0 to 142.1, the captains continued to show high spirits and optimism for the rest of the season.

“I could not have asked for two better captains this season than Sydney and Jackie. […]  These captains are supportive and great role models for their underclassmen. They both are not only dedicated to their high school gymnastics but they are dedicated to their private club gymnastics team, where they compete at the high Xcel level diamond and work out 4-5 times a week on top of high school. They both also work steady jobs,” said Anderson.

Pouliopoulos’s experiences and accomplishments on the WA gymnastics team have inspired her to continue the sport throughout college.

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 9.16.58 PM
Pouliopoulos during her floor routine.

“Sydney had the best season on her two main events of vault and floor, scoring her highest scores in four years.  She beat her own personal record scoring a 9.2 on vault and a 9.2 on floor this year. Her dedication and the love for this sport make her a huge asset to the team,” said coach Stephanie Anderson.

Pouliopoulos will attend Gannon University in Eerie, Pennsylvania where she will participate in the acrobatics and tumbling team.  This sport is a combination of floor from gymnastics and stunting from cheerleading.  Pouliopoulos will get paid for being on the team and will compete against other schools.

Like Pouliopoulos, Beals has accomplished much in her final year on the gymnastics team at WA.

“Jackie broke the AA record this season, scoring a 37.24. […] Jackie’s hard work and calm attitude helps bring the team together,” said Anderson.

Both Beals and Pouliopoulos’s accomplishments and leadership have amounted to an unforgettable season.

“They make a great pair and we are very proud of their accomplishments this season,” said Anderson.