Gymnastics conquers Newton South

The gymnasts watch their fellow team members compete. Click here to see a slideshow from the meet.

By Alok Ganguly
    Managing Editor

On Monday, December 15th, WA Gymnastics defeated Newton South at their first meet of the season 136.45 to 129.85.

WA first began with the vault, and sophomore Kiana Brown had the highest score of the event, a 9.15.

Shortly afterwards, WA began the bars, and then moved onto the beam and lastly, the floor. Senior and co-captian of the team, Jackie Beals had the highest score in all three events, scoring a 9.0, a 9.3, and a 9.0 respectively.

“This year is going to be really exciting because it’s my senior year, so I am really looking forward to it,” said Beals.

This win was very important to the team, both setting the tone for the season and giving all of the newcomers a chance to exhibit some of their talent.

“Seeing how today went, I think we could do really well. Today we had a few mistakes, but every first meet is always all over the place. I think if we just work hard and focus on what we have to do then we will do really well this season,” said senior Sydney Poulipoulous, the other co-captain of the team.

Last season, Newton South had beaten WA’s Gymnastics team, so this victory was important to both returning members, who were happy that they had defeated their previous rivals, and newcomers, who were excited to be a part of a team that could win at their first meet of the season.

“We have a lot of new faces and a lot of new talent coming up, and it is very good to see. [This is] a good squad, a very good group of girls to work with,” said coach Tom Bonacci.

Overall, the team is looking forward to the rest of their season, and working on ironing out some of the kinks in their routines for upcoming meets.

“We hope to qualify for states again, it would be our third year in a row, and would be fantastic to do again,” said coach Stephanie Anderson, looking forward to the rest of the season after a strong start.