Announcements incite discomfort

Empty WABC Studio

By Kathleen McAleese and Kayleigh McHugh
Editor-in-Chief and Contributor

Friday Morning Sports announcements have been something students look forward to every week for years. This year however, some heads have been turned in the presence of inappropriate comments made by the anchors about specific students.

Morning Sports, traditionally, has been a comical segment, but regardless of the attempt at comedy for these past weeks, comments have been rude, uncalled for, and inappropriate for a school setting.

Granted, these anchors have been putting their best effort forth in trying to maintain the sports segment, but there is a line to be drawn when it comes to comments made about students.

There is definitely a comedic legacy that goes along with taking on the sports segment of our announcements. While it is hard to please everyone, this does not excuse any sort of resorting to humor based off of judging individuals for his or her looks.

Of course, claims can be made that what has been broadcasted to teachers, administrators, and students alike was simply “only a joke.” What has been made to be a joke are the bodies of female students.

The problem with these comments is that they have no place in the school. While in another context, to certain people, they may seem humorous, there is no place for them on the Westford Academy announcements. The school setting should be one of complete security, mentally and physically. The comments in question, objectify girls in a very public setting, and cause much insecurity and disorder amongst members of the population of our school.

What is especially disheartening, is that these tasteless remarks have continued, even as new anchors have been introduced to the segment. This lack of respect for the school and all of those in it, is a poor reflection upon the good integrity, respect, and values that are held in high importance within our school community.

The objectification and over-sexualization of women is a greater issue than that of our school environment, that much is true. Is it necessary to be broadcasting a message to students, both male and female, that inappropriate comments made at school are appropriate?

The opportunity to have our morning sports is truly a privilege, but unfortunately, it is one that is being grossly misused as of now. We encourage the current sportscasters to rethink the comments being made, to think about what their segment is currently, and the potential that it has.

There are jokes that can be made without making students and teachers uncomfortable; there are sports that can be covered while maintaining a lighthearted environment and entertaining students of all types.